JW doctrine..

by Brummie 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• garybuss
    garybuss

Religion is a snare and a racket. That's one I can think of.

• Brummie
    Brummie

Good one garybus!

IW, I am just about to go off line but can you remember the Scriptures that teach the following:

1) there is to be an "organised" preaching work

2) The military is to be avoided. ( I believe the WT have compromised on doing military activities?)

3) organized meeting arrangements ( I assume you mean organised as meaning same time each week same place etc?)

Gopher:

But they couldn't come up with a good original one of their own if they were paid millions!

Too funny! true too!

starscream I agree, those are my thoughts too.

BTex can totally understand where you are coming from.

Pr capone, lol, old habits die hard huh.

Mini, yeah they do sound cultish dont they...hmmm

Thanks everyone

Brummie

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Brummie,

IW, I am just about to go off line but can you remember the Scriptures that teach the following:

1) there is to be an "organised" preaching work

2) The military is to be avoided. ( I believe the WT have compromised on doing military activities?)

3) organized meeting arrangements ( I assume you mean organised as meaning same time each week same place etc?)

In reference to number:

1. Yes, Jesus himself organized the preaching work when he sent out the seventy to work two by two and of course the Apostle Paul preached in an organized fashion also, from city to city and with others who accompanied him. The "demonization" of the word 'organization' is an xJW phenomenon. Most people recognize the need for organization and are not paranoid over it.

2. There is no way for a Christian to honor the command of Jesus to have love for their brother without leaving the sword behind. Even Jesus himself in the NT declared that the use of the sword by Peter was to fulfill scripture and nothing more. His disciples were to work at loving others not killing them. I believe this is obvious.

3. When people agree to meet do they not also agree to place and time? Paul also designated procedural practices.

IW

• Brummie
    Brummie
    The "demonization" of the word 'organization' is an xJW phenomenon

I respectively disagree, most of us work for an organisation or organise things ourselves, our schools are organised, there is nothing wrong with that, what is being demonized by exjws is specifically destructive cult like organisations, and if that is a phenomenon then its ok in my books.

1) I agree that Jesus was organised as was the Apostle Paul but that is a far cry from the organised preaching work as designed by the Governing Body. 10 hours per month? Calendar weekends? Do or die? That is the "organisation" that I am reffering to when I say I dont believe anything they teach.

2) The Roman centurion comes to mind but I will have to look up the Scripture as I cant remember now if it condemned him for being part of an army. Infact I dont think it did, didnt it tell him to go ahead and be good at his work? senior moments, I'll look it up.

3) Similar to point one. 5 meetings a week & Watchtower study etc, that is not a Christian meeting and has no Scriptural support. If it was just meeting like a local club then fine, but it doesnt and therefore it is not biblical.

thanks IW.

Brummie

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Hi Brummie,

I respectively disagree, most of us work for an organisation or organise things ourselves, our schools are organised, there is nothing wrong with that, what is being demonized by exjws is specifically destructive cult like organisations, and if that is a phenomenon then its ok in my books.

I did not realize the paranoia many xJWs have with the word 'organization' or the idea of an 'organization' until I proposed that to fight the Tower xJWs need to get organized. The cry of "we do not need an organization or to be organized, because that is what the Tower was and we will not be like the Tower" rang out loud and clear. Even you did not just leave it at "cults" but added "cult like organizations". Most non JWs would not have used that terminology, they just say "cults". Yes, imo, there is a hyper paranoia among xJWs when the word, "organization" is mentioned. This I believe is due to the inordinate and negative emphasis that term has been given by the more prominant xJW posters.

1) I agree that Jesus was organised as was the Apostle Paul but that is a far cry from the organised preaching work as designed by the Governing Body. 10 hours per month? Calendar weekends? Do or die? That is the "organisation" that I am reffering to when I say I dont believe anything they teach.

Organized preaching work has nothing to do with what you address in your post above. Hours etc. have nothing to do with the organization of the preaching work. :)

2) The Roman centurion comes to mind but I will have to look up the Scripture as I cant remember now if it condemned him for being part of an army. Infact I dont think it did, didnt it tell him to go ahead and be good at his work? senior moments, I'll look it up.

Jesus said that his disciples would be recognized by the love they had among themselves. Are you saying that the Roman Centurion would be recognized as a disciple of Jesus even after he shish kababed some poor soul, maybe even a fellow Christian as many soldiers have done?

3) Similar to point one. 5 meetings a week & Watchtower study etc, that is not a Christian meeting and has no Scriptural support. If it was just meeting like a local club then fine, but it doesnt and therefore it is not biblical

Brummie, whether or not the JW meetings are "Christian" or have support in the Bible is subject to religious opinion.

IW

• Brummie
    Brummie

OMG I just wrote a looong reply (took me an hour and 2 cups of coffee) and I lost the whole thing...*cries*

I refreshed the page and it came back with a blank screen

I'll get back to you IW. Thanks for making me think things through again, its good to shake the cobwebs off.

The scripture I was talking about for military was Luke 3:14, the soldiers were told be content with the wages their job supplied. Could a JW say the same thing? Roman army centurion Cornelious remained a Roman soldier after his conversion to Christ and was called a rightous man in Acts 10.

Drat and blast I lost the other reply

I'm going to get another coffee

Brummie

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster
    The other doctrine I still agree with (in addition to those mentioned above) is no triune God, at least not in the sense that the Son equals the Father equals the Holy Ghost (spirit). I will never see how the Word can "be" God and simultaneously "be with" God. God must just be beside himself!

Oh goodie! I get to yell at other people who didn't do research.

I've done research on the traditional vs JW translation of John 1:1. It seems the common consenses among Greek scholars is that the traditional "the Word was God" is more accurate. I've seen this on two different websites.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit