JW doctrine..

by Brummie 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Brummie
    Brummie

Do you still believe any of it? I cant think of any of their doctrines that could be supported if they didnt deliberately alter the Scriptures.

Even their teaching of God creating the earth is flawed when one considers what they believe about God.

Of the top of my head I cant think of anything that I still believe that was taught me by the Watchtower...can you?

Brummie

• Kingpawn
    Kingpawn

I can accept the idea of no survival of the soul or spirit after physical death based on Ecc. 9:5. That's the only one that comes to mind right off.

Hell fire! I can't bring myself to accept such a repugnant doctrine. The idea of God keeping someone alive for all eternity just to torture them is so cruel as to be incompatable with the example of Christ. Although, I must admit that certain bible verses do seem to teach just such a doctrine.

Love your thought provoking posts Brummie. Keep the questions coming.

• Brummie
    Brummie

gee thanks 24k, I sound like a minimus wannabe sometimes I havent really got a set of regimented beliefs concerning hellfire, I dont deny it exists but I think some peoples interpretation is more akin to Dantes inferno than to Scripture.

Kingpawn, do you think Ecc 9:5 should be a foundation for JW belief? If one takes Ecc 9 1-10 literally then there is no hope at all for the future because it states that even the memory of them is forgotten. It doesnt hold out the future hope of Paradise or heaven. I believe it is an inspired writing but I dont believe it is Christian doctrine, I think God inspired the text for people to see the reasoning of someone who had lost faith.

Brummie

• Gopher
    Gopher

The JW's were only correct when negating other religion's doctrines. But they couldn't come up with a good original one of their own if they were paid millions!

The other doctrine I still agree with (in addition to those mentioned above) is no triune God, at least not in the sense that the Son equals the Father equals the Holy Ghost (spirit). I will never see how the Word can "be" God and simultaneously "be with" God. God must just be beside himself!

I know that there is no way mankind could ever fully understand God (assuming he exists). However I do believe we humans can understand and apply simple terms like "father" and "son" in meaningful ways.

It would be things like God's eternity and power and knowledge that we will never understand. But the idea that the father and son are separate beings? I believe that one is quite simple to understand.

• starScream
    starScream

Brummie,

good point

ecclesiastes 9:5-6, the "proof-text" used to "refute" life after death. Sounds like if this is true there is no life ever after death.

the cry of despair:

"...they (the dead) are concious of nothing at all...and they (the dead) have no more portion anymore to time indefinite in anything that has to be done under the sun."

and the wisdom it brings:

'Eat, drink and be merry, all your days are vanity. Virtue is of no reward so live it up for the hand of fate seeks a victim in all.' ( 9:7-16)

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Well Min -- uh Brummie, I probably still agree with their stance on neutrality. I'm not comfortable yet with the idea of taking sides with regards to politics. But honestly as regards doctrine, that I have not really given much consideration. At this point in time, I'm so burned out on the whole subject of religion and doctrine that my brain hurts. So call me Mr. Gumby.

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

Not that I believe it but the other day my friend was joking around about the trinity. The first thing that popped into my mind was to say (which I didnt but came close to) that God and Jesus are not the same.

I went home later that day and repeatedly kicked my own ass.

Kansas District Overbeer

• minimus
    minimus

All that I can say is that this is quite the journey. Nearly every WT. belief is unique to only WT. teachings---not Bible teachings. It is true that you DO NEED the "slave" to understand the Bible because if you're a normal, somewhat intelligent individual, you would NEVER come to the conclusions of the Watchtower Society. JW doctrine seems almost a little cultish.

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Hi Brummie,

I believe the JW doctrine of not joining the military is in accord with the NT scriptures. I believe their belief that women should not teach in the congregation is in accord with the NT scriptures. I believe the organized arrangement of elders/deacons is in accord with the NT scriptures. I believe an organized preaching work is in agreement with the NT scriptures.

I believe the headship arrangement is in accord with the NT scriptures. I believe the NT scriptures support: head coverings, leadership by appointed men, organized meeting arrangements, belief in an approaching end to this system, the establishing of a new earth and new heavens by God, the honoring of God's name, the honoring of men taking the lead, the circuit overseer arrangement, the belief that the road to salvation is narrow, the belief that only Christians have eternal life, are all in the NT.

I also believe that any Christian religion which does not teach these things either does not believe the NT is inerrant or practices an outright apostasy of the NT.

IW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit