How would a JW respond to this question?

by Oxnard Hamster 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• starScream
    starScream

The JWs don't teach that if you did not get the message you will survive Armageddon. One motivation for them is blood guilt for not working hard enough knocking on doors to save people.

I remember pondering these questions as a dub child. I myself thought that part about if they didn't get the message they would still survive maybe. I admit I had a soft spot deep down somewhere for people in "christendom" too. I thought it was real bad the way we treated and thought of people that were so emotional about Jesus. But that didn't stop me from joining in on the bash.

I remembering one door I went to with a brother and the man at the door had beard stubble a long goatee, his hair was a little long, he had an old t-shirt on and I was blinded by my superficiality. He was professing what Jesus had done for him to us. He was declaring how much Jesus helped him when he was addicted to heroin and how great it was that we were teaching people about Jesus. He was PRAISING US while I was jugding him. At the time I was wondering if he was serious or if it was a ploy. I think he didn't know what scum we were.

I was judging him for all these things. I thought he was so bad because he didn't "look" like a Christian and he did heroin. Sure he could be forgiven of doing heroin I thought but how can he think he is a christian looking like that. Then I figured since he was praising us so much maybe Jehovah would give him a break and let him live.

AAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• obiwan
    obiwan

Duhhh,ummm,duhhh! Then they would dance around your question.

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster
    Duhhh,ummm,duhhh! Then they would dance around your question.

Yeah, I've noticed they are pretty good about that. When I make a point, they'll immediately turn to a passage in the Bible, which is either taken out of context, mistranslated, or they have read something into it that doesn't belong, or any combination of the aforementioned. Then they'll ask a leading question, and ask if I agree.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I raised a very similar question to a couple of elders a while ago.

I pointed out that every person must have a chance to hear the good news and respond. Nothing else would be fair. So, at Armageddon, those who live in remote areas and have never been contacted will survive through so as to have their chance to hear. Now, since JWs convert only about 1 in 1000, they are actually killing people by going from door to door. If they stayed home, they could save everyone.

Their answer was twofold:

1. Preaching is a command, so by staying home, we would ourselves become bloodguilty. (This doesn't make sense. How can you be bloodguilty for saving 99.9% of the human race?)

2. If we did not preach, "the stones themselves would cry out", so the preaching would get done one way or another.

So, there you have it - the way to rationalize a contradiction that makes enough sense for the average JW to swallow.

• dedalus
    dedalus

I'm not exactly sure how Witnesses would answer that question, but whatever they said, they would certainly LIE.

Witnesses are great liars.

Dedalus

• gumby
    gumby
    should I just sit on my laurels and wait for a JW to come get me?

Yes.

You must sit and wait with all the other billions who have not heard the GOOD NEWS yet. Patience, patience. Jehovah can hand out everlasting life only so fast!

Gumby

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster
    We must not commit Adam and Eve's blunder of trying to decide what is good and what is evil, what is just and what is unjust. (Gen. 3:4-6, 22)

Doesn't the WTS do this all the time?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit