My sermon at Valley Unitarian Universalist Congregation

by rawe 13 Replies latest jw friends

• rawe
    rawe

Hi Everyone,

It has been awhile since I have visited the forum. Since the fall of 2013 I've been attending the Unitarian Universalist Congregation in Chandler, AZ. I became a member in 2015. This past September I gave the sermon. The theme for the month was "vocation" so although I relate a bit of my story leaving Jehovah's Witnesses the sermon is tied back to the meaning of "vocation."

Here is the link on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LypQrHrCrk

It was especially nice to have all my girls (I have 4 daughters) and their husbands (2 are married) and grandchildren (we have 4 now) in attendance. Normally just myself and my wife Wendy and our youngest daughter Montana attend services.

Cheers,

-Randy

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Marked

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Hello rawe. My wife and I have given several sermons at our local UU congregation. From the history of the UU's to what is a Cult. We enjoy the freedom to believe what you want to at the same time respecting the dignity of all humans and the web of life.

It so nice you had your family there. Does your congregation record your sermons and put them on your web site? I found becoming a UU was one of the best things we did to cope coming out of a mind control cult. Take care nice to know you have now have the freedom to think. Pm me some time if you like. Still Totally ADD

• rawe
    rawe

Hi Still Totally ADD,

They do. The website is vuu [dot] org and from there you can see the link to the YouTube channel. They also live stream the service through YouTube. It was my wife Wendy who really saw the need for me to get involved in some form of religious life.

That's cool that you've give sermon's there. This was my first one, although Rev. Andy, mentioned afterwards that he might wish for me to give a few more.

Cheers,

-Randy

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Thank you for sharing your talk with us and for sharing a bit of your journey.

The cruise ship analogy was so clear. AFTER the cruise, answering questions from excited friends who want to hear about all the wonderful sights and experiences only to tell them you did not get experience much because of being so occupied with prepping and warning of something that would never happen.

Thank you again. It seems you have found a warm group with whom to associate.

• rawe
    rawe

Hi AudeSapere,

Thank you for the kind words. I think we've found a faith home at VUU. UUs have a wide range of interest from the spiritual to social justice. Many UUs will say "Love is our doctrine. Service is our prayer." But of course that leaves open the question of how exactly does one make that a real thing? Part of the answer of me is using my experience with JWs as a way to help others who are leaving faiths and searching for something better. Thus I often participate in our "welcome circle" where new ones come and chat and ask questions. There is an amazing amount of flow-through our congregation, wherein folks come for awhile and then stop. A few though become long term members. This of course is okay. There is no pressure to make "converts."

I also chair the LPCA (Lay Pastoral Care Associates) group. We provide workshops as well as one-on-one compassionate listening and home and hospital visits when requested. Right now we're running the workshop I mentioned in the sermon "Owning Your Religious Past." At today's session we were to bring an object from our religious past. So I brought my service bag that I had the day I left. All the stuff from October 2007 is still in the case. I even discovered my old Palm Pilot was in there, where I kept track of RVs.

But yes, it is absolutely wonderful to be alive in the here and now. To be on that long cruise! I feel no compulsion to ask God or the Cosmos for more.

Cheers, -Randy

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

Randy,

I listened to your sermon and am wondering if you might say why you quote the Bible as an Atheist. Everyone has a different perspective, and I'm interested in yours.

Diane

• rawe
    rawe

Hi Diane,

I have little doubt that had I not been a JW I would have nothing more than a passing interest in the Bible. So when I finally could accept that for myself I was an atheist, I had to decide what to do with all the Bible reading and studying I had done. My first worry was directed towards my daughters. I felt that by keeping up a Bible reading program and study I would stand a better chance of countering any charismatic charlatan who my daughter my encounter. So I figured that if they should encounter such, they would at least know I had put in an effort to understand the material and could respond.

After awhile I found myself describing the Bible as and old friend, with flaws for sure, but an old friend nonetheless. I take issues with JWs and many other modern religions, but the Bible authors I am much more generous with. They wrote during a time of very little knowledge. I don't mean to suggest that excuses moral issues like suggesting it is okay to drown babies, kittens and puppies because of the "badness of man." But even in the Noah story I see an attempt to understand why floods, some of them probably devastating, happened and seemed to kill at random.

Finally I concluded a thing about ownership. So many, JWs included, presume that they "own" the Bible. I reject that. The Bible is a gift to all humanity. An odd collection of religious documents that have survived until our day. Just because I don't "believe" doesn't mean I am under some obligation to avoid the material.

Cheers,

-Randy

• Reopened Mind
    Reopened Mind

Hello rawe, Randy,

I listened to your sermon. You are an excellent speaker. Were you an elder in your past (JW) life? As Still Totally ADD said we are members of our local UU congregation. We are a small congregation with no paid minister. Thus many of our members conduct the services and we have guest speakers when we can procure them.

We have been members since 2012. As my husband said he has given several sermons there. But he was an elder for 25 years. I, too, have given Sunday sermons, mostly on my experience in the cult. Imagine that! Me, a former sister, addressing the audience directly without a man on stage to conduct! I guess I learned a lot from the Ministry School. Anyway, that’s not so remarkable outside a misogynistic, high control group.

Reopened Mind

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

Thanks, Randy. I have complex PTSD, so I am easily triggered by listening to a speaker reference the Bible. I didn't find that to be the case with your sermon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit