DA Update

by iiz2cool 13 Replies latest jw friends

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

As some of you know, I sent a letter to the elders of my last congregation disassociating myself from Jehovah's Witnesses. I was originally going to wait, as my mother, who's 81, is very ill with cancer. She's not expected to live very long. But because of circumstances, I decided to do it this past week. I spoke to her today, and I told her about my decision. I felt it was best to give her the news myself before she found out from others who would most certainly not give her the real reasons for my disassociation. I was very surprised to find that it didn't stress her as much as I thought it would. In fact, she's quite pissed at her own congregation right now. She's been to hospital six times in the last few weeks, and I've now placed her in a nursing home for the time being, as she requires much assistance. But during this time, very few have bothered dropping by to see her or even giving a phone call. This is in spite of the fact that she was good enough to open her home as a book study center for the last 16 years. She's finally finding out just how much they really appreciated her generosity.

All things considered, I'm happy I sent the letter this week, and I'm glad I told her before she heard it from others.

Walter

• Gopher
    Gopher
    very few have bothered dropping by to see her or even giving a phone call. This is in spite of the fact that she was good enough to open her home as a book study center for the last 16 years.

Unbelievable! Yet not really, as it's well known that the JW's use you up and spit you out when you're no longer usefeul.

You did the right thing in DA'ing from the congregation, and it sounds like your mother well understands why.

• Ron1968
    Ron1968

Walter,

It is always good to have parent's blessing even though it is not always easy to get with that particuliar issue. I am glad you updated us. I was wondering if the elders have called anymore on you are tried to stop by. I hope not.

PS..Glad to see you on this board. I am Ronnie from the other board in case you didn't know. I saw your welcome post and appreciated that as well.

Take care.

Ron

• rei
    rei

That's a sad story, I found most people in my old congregation more genuine than that, I guess it all depends on the type of people, usually the congregation announced things like that, "so and so is in the hospital and is accepting visitors." - makes me sad to know not enough people made the effort to come and see your mom.

I agree with Gopher and I can't say it better so..

"You did the right thing in DA'ing from the congregation, and it sounds like your mother well understands why."

It's nice to have support from your family members.

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

Great that she did understand - and very sorry for her that she was left on her own.
    My experiences are quite different: each day lots of JW's at the door and I had to limitate the visitors to 3 each day. But then, my mother (87) was sick for 11 weeks only....

I missed your "new to the board" but welcome anyway.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Walter, you have my sincerest sympathy about your Mom.

All this JW crap fades into insignificance when we face the impending loss of someone we love so dearly.

May you both have peace of mind and heart.

Craig

• Maverick
    Maverick

Dear iiz2cool: My thoughts are with you. Seems like we have things happen to us in bunches. Keep your head down and your spirits up for this too will pass.

Telling you these patitudes reminds me of a little story. This young woman had a little boy. He was a darling child but very ugly! When she was in public people would stare and point. One day walking with her son, it got so bad that she just broke down, sat on the curbstone, put her face in her hands an sobbed. An old man walked by, looked at her little boy silently standing by her, and then at her sitting and crying. The gentleman stopped, turned to her and in a very soft and kind tone said, "Don't be sad little lady, things will get better. Tomorrow is a new day. And behind every dark cloud is a silver lining." And, as she started to look up he added, "And here's a quarter for the monkey!" Maverick

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

iiz2cool: I am so relieved you told your mother.

Something tells me, she has probably had a hunch for awhile now.

Better she hear it from you, than something that is merely gossip or hearsay, or a snide piece of slander.

Sorry to read about Mom. Poor thing. It's nice that she acknowledges you, your decision and your care. It's not easy to place someone in a senior care facility, but sometimes you have to, because there are things they can do, that you cannot.

Best wishes Walter.

Looks like you've got lots of support here and on the other forum. That's great!

Take care, and I do owe you a phone call. I've had some xjw company in-town, so I've been a bit overwhelmed. Talk to you soon.

Respectfully,
    Rayzorblade

• blondie
    blondie

liz, your mom's experience would be perfect for today's Sunday review on giving comfort. No matter how many words or scriptures the WTS crams into a study article, the proof is in the actions of JWs.

I'm sorry that at 81 and years of faithful service, your mom is finding out how little if any comfort can be found among JWs.

Blondie

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/54139/1.ashx

• berylblue
    berylblue

So very sorry about your mother. You are in my thoughts.

Rosemarie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit