Keys to understanding the Book of Revelation
· The whole book of Revelation is one letter.
· That letter was to be taken by a courier and read out aloud in churches along a road that ran from Ephesus to Laodicea. The author was very familiar with each of the churches.
· Those Christians were experiencing intense persecution.
· The letter was designed to encourage these first-century Christians to “overcome”. It told them that the end was imminent (“soon”) and they had to remain faithful, to the point of being prepared to losing their lives.
· John had gone to Patmos in order to compose (“receive”) the message. He put his words into the mouth of Jesus, and others.
· Very cleverly, John employed the lurid imagery of apocalyptic writing in order to support the Christians while at the same time using the symbolism to hide the messages from their persecutors. This technique had been used by the 2nd century BCE writer of the Book of Daniel when Antiochus Epiphanes was persecuting Jews. John relied heavily on the Book of Daniel.
· None of John’s expectations came to pass. He got it all wrong
John did not write the Apocalypse in order to provide a detailed time-table of events that would unfold thousands of years in the future. Instead, John wrote to affect and move his hearers at the end of the first century, to motivate them to reject idolatrous compromise with the surrounding cultural and political institutions and to overcome through repentance, worship, witness, perseverance, and obedience.
The writtings of jesus indicated the end would come during their generation. He died about 33 less then 40 years later Jerusalem was destroyed in 70 and just a couple three years later the last of the rebels were pushed up Mt meggedo ( Armageddo) . There they all died. Maybe the writtings of Revelations were in part to prepare the Jewish rebels out side of Jerusalem for their attack's, persecution and salvation as martyrs?
This was all written after the fact and makes for a great saga.
Hi Doug, what is your take on Babylon the Great and her whoring herself to the governments and merchants?
Great insight. Love reading posts like this.
what is your take on Babylon the Great and her whoring herself to the governments and merchants?
Thats a prophecy about my PIMO sister.
I came to know that the book of revelation has been greatly debated by the Nicea council when the Bible was complied,on whether it should be added into the Bible due to its lunatic and Psychotic content.
Nothing to take seriously. Or read it like watching Texas Chain saw Massacre.
Thanks for info Doug, I love what that son of The Enlightenment, President Jefferson said;
"It is between fifty and sixty years since I read it [the Apocalypse], and I then considered it merely the ravings of a maniac, no more worthy nor capable of explanation than the incoherences of our own nightly dreams."
-Thomas Jefferson, letter to General Alexander Smyth, Jan. 17, 1825
Of course Revelation was before Freud and Jung when an explanation for types of dreaming could be given but it was written however at a time when opium was known to be used.
I read somewhere that Magic Mushrooms are to be found on Patmos, which may explain some of it, I think Doug has it right though, it is written to confound the Authorities, but encourage the faithful.
After all, "John" assures them the End is upon them !
2,000 years later............. still waiting !
Could it be the end of an old cycle and beginning of a new cycle being expounded in astrological language?
The zodiac signs for the autumn are (starting from the autumnal equinox) Libra the scales,Scorpio ruled by Mars/Ares (the god of war,symbolized by the sword) and Sagittarius the horse/man and his bow....one of the horsemen carries a set of scales,one carries a sword and one is a man on a horse with a bow......these three signs lead up to the winter solstice....the depth of darkness/winter/death (the horseman who was following them).
Three days after the winter solstice on December 22nd (the midnight of the year) starts the new cycle of the next year.....the new child that is born.....Jesus at Christmas.
A lot of celebrations happen on solstices and equinoxes.
Smoke you some good weed and then maybe, just maybe Revelation will make sense!
The writer surely had some great hallucination going!