Convention

by Gorbatchov 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Bonsai
    Bonsai
    Hope without works is dead. Going out and actually helping people and doing constructive things as opposed to sitting in a convention center or peddling literature will fill you with meaning and good feelings. There is more to life than what Samuel can offer, which is serve us, help us expand our religious empire and maybe god will reward you for it. Life is short. How much time will you spend sitting in the horse cart looking at that carrot being dangled ever tantalizingly close to you?
  • freddo
    freddo

@Jookbeard

I believe so - the big one where everyone in the south of England got assigned. Herd and Malefant (sp?) were the visiting GB and "Helper".

I'm pretty sure they haven't used Twickenham since as it all went "Regional" (smaller and more places) instead of "District" in 2015 and onwards.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

Main point for me is that I didn't see forward to this convention, and have taken some points that made me think. Summary for me personaly is that we are human, serious things can and will happen, and hope is essential then for going through it. The details about this hope is something you can fill in for your self.

Hope for things you will not see or hope for things that will happen diferently then you expect.

Last thing, those delegates were good people. From all over the globe. That's a kind of special.

G.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast
    My father had hope, I think he had faith that the end would come in his lifetime as he was told by those giving out hope. This hope went when he died as an old man.

My mother had this hope for 66 years until she died at 99. She clung on to her hope, she had nothing else. What a waste.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Now Gorby you know the warnings about bad association! But credit where credit is due.

All religion is about hope because there is little or no evidence of any reality connected to it except seeing the lives and activities of fellow believers. It sort of convinces the believer that hoping the same thing with others will make make it come true.

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5180544467861504/orwellian-doomsday-cult-use-hope

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

the man who studied the bible with my father and gave him this hope said it was in impossible for him to grow old and die in this system.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Let's say one is sick with a potentially deadly illness.

What "hope" is more heart-warming, or, let's just say, more "effective" (considering that "effectiveness" of hope in this case is enabling you to better cope with your ailment) ?

a) The false hope that a divine being is going to miraculously cure you.

b) The unprovable hope that after you die, your life will carry on on the spiritual domain / you will be resurrected to an earthly paradise.

c) The plausible hope that science may develop some therapy / medicine that will make possible to extend your life with reasonable quality.

d) The real hope that, in the case of your death, your life and example was inspiring to others and your loving memory will live on after you were gone.

What of these "hopes" offers a better ratio between plausibility and "effectiveness"?

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

I got this one Eden one! It's C and D!

I love multiple choice questions!

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome
    So much depended upon Messiah's resurrection, and the apostle Paul had suffered so much persecution for preaching it, that if Paul were a liar, then, as he wrote: "In fact, also, those who fell asleep in death inunion with Christ perished. If in this life only we have hoped in Christ, we are of all men most to be pitied." (1 Corinthians 15:18,19) So,too, with our generation in this twentieth century. After all that we have gone through since 1914, our generation would be, of all generations, the “most to be pitied.”
    Think of it, though! Worthy ones of this generation of mankind will be saved alive out of the rest of this world distress so as to survive the worst of it and enter into God’s Messianic new system of things and not need a resurrection from the dead to life here on earth!’ This is a valid hope well founded on what was said by Jesus Christ in his prophecy on the "sign of his presence and conclusion of the system of things." (Man’s Salvation Out of World Distress At Hand! Watch Tower 1975 page 28,29)

My father had the valid hope now the most to be pitied

• Half banana
    Half banana

Just shows you can't trust the Bible and its interpreters.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit