Some Black Muslim Beliefs

by MrMoe 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

I have a new job, and there is a young girl who has a desk located near mine. She is Muslim and wears a head covering, and today I had the chance to talk to her. She brought up her religion when I asked her why she didn't have any photos on her desk etc... She explained it was due to the fact any pictures or other objects of living beings was against her religion as it was considered idoitry. So we started talking more and I asked her a few questions about her beliefs... then, she said something that put a very strange feeling through me. She told me she was Black Muslim and white people were evil, and she would be civil at work to me, but that was the extent of it. She said it so nicely, but her words...

I just sort of sat there, not really sure what to say. I know who Malcolm X was etc (and I do think NOT ALL Black Muslims believe this, or at least I hope not... and wow do I realize how ignorant I am...) but for the first time in my life, I was told to my face (in a nice way) that I was not liked because of my skin color. God, was it time for a wake up call for me or what? The feeling I cannot put my finger on, but I have carried with me a sort of sadness for the rest of the day as a result of it. It makes no sense to hate me because my skin pigment is light, same as any other physical feature. It does not register with me, it's not logical... Now, if I had to live with being the object of racial hatred more often than not... *sigh*

It puts a whole new spin on things, you know? It is so easy for me to stand here and try to explain my feelings on why racism gaps should be closed, but we have a very very long ways to go, including the fact I personally do not know what it is like to be on the other end. As I was born white in a dominantly white ruled country.

The way she spoke to me was very civil in fact kind, and now I imagine how I would have reacted if her words would have been filled with hate, death threats, or otherwise.

I tend to post things here that are considered to me to be some sort of cause, religious or otherwise, simply because JWD was a major turning point in my life where issues such as these could be brought out to the table, discussed and studied, learned and hopefully on my part better understood before. This time, I am not sure WHY I am posting it, other than the fact I took a nap, and just now when I woke up, it was on my mind. It still saddens me, and now I know what it is like after 26 years to be told I was not liked because of the color of my skin. It's not a very good feeling at all.

Anyhow, that's it, something I wanted to talk about, get off my chest.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Thanks for sharing MrMoe.

I do think NOT ALL Black Msulims believe this,

I hate to tell ya this, but all Black Muslims will tell you that they think that White people are devils. It's a big part of their religion. Sad but true. And just so you know, I believe that Malcolm X stopped being this sort of Muslim, maybe he realized how racist and ridiculous it is.

This type of thing just pisses me off! I realize that everyone has the right to their own opinions but geez, this is just dumb to me.

• shera
    shera

Sorrie your feelings were hurt.Hugs to you.

Look at it this way...her loss.

Sometimes I think all religion is the root to evil...so many things that are wrong in this world that go wrong are in the name of religion.Make me think....

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I think this woman is an extremist (to say the least, since she said her true feelings to your face). Actually Malcom X left the American Black Muslim group because they were too radical, in fact, they were the ones who ended up murdering him.

• Scully
    Scully

I would be pretty disturbed if someone classified me as "evil" because of my skin colour. For the life of me, I can't even imagine how someone could say it in a kind way either.

I hope her "being civil" at work doesn't cause tension. That kind of aloofness would bug me after a while. Almost as much as it used to bug my co-workers when I was a JW and could be "civil" with them but always maintain that invisible wall....

Love, Scully

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    It still saddens me, and now I know what it is like after 26 years to be told I was not liked because of the color of my skin.

Honestly Moe, I'm Black and we are about the same age, but I have never had someone say something this blatantly racist to me . People suck sometimes. . .

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

Shea - Oh goodness don't feel bad for me, I am glad it happened. For once I can know what it is like to feel this way.

And it raises another question. DO all Black Muslims feel this way? God religion can be SO EVIL.

• Aztec
    Aztec

Moe, you should not be surprised that religion can have a powerful and negative affect on your associations. From the very little that I know of the black Muslims they are a splinter of true Islam. Louis Farrakhan is not a very well liked man in America for a reason. Malcolm X toward the end of his life started to seperate himself from him. He came to the conclusion that Farrakhan was not a true follower of Islam. He was assassinated shortly after he made his pilgrimmage to Mecca. That is as much as I remember from reading "The Autobiography of Malcolm X". I could be a bit off on some things but I do know that religion can be a vastly negative influence on a person's life.

On a side note..doesn't it feel odd to be the one who is discriminated against? It's an eye opening experience and why I have so much sympathy for minorities.

~Aztec

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    DO all Black Muslims feel this way?

Yes, I bet so. I mean I can't 100%, but the majority do.

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

Very mind opening indeed. And if anything, it has made me feel that the racial gaps mankind experiences should be closed even more than I did before.

When will the world grow up? When will people start behaving like humans? bleck

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit