No 'Tight Pants' policy is now official - classed as 'disturbing'

by wizzstick 362 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Sometimes it seems the org (cult) is purposefully trying to run people off. Are they trying to "sift out" the fence sitters and not so obedient ones? Maybe...they're just stupid...I don't know anymore!

With so many problems in the world, they are worried about tight pants? Really?

I wonder if the branch approved these uniforms?

• OneFingerSalute
    OneFingerSalute

Ultimately, it's not critical of their clothes, it is critical of who they are.

EXACTLY! And yet there are some, well at least one, who insist that this topic is ONLY about clothing choices, and they assume that calling out WTB&T$ on their control issues is somehow self defeating.

I personally will not address them directly, as engaging in any debate with them is like engaging in a battle of wits with a half-wit. Totally pointless!

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    Simon, you haven't addressed that I believed this was news worthy due to the fact that it trivialized their ministry, which, up until now, I thought was fundamental to being a JW. It is definitely news worthy.
  • Simon
    Simon
    you haven't addressed that I believed this was news worthy due to the fact that it trivialized their ministry, which, up until now, I thought was fundamental to being a JW. It is definitely news worthy.

Sorry, I hadn't seen anything that suggested it trivialized their ministry. How does it do that?

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

How are yoga pants any more sexy than any other pants? Because you can see the outline of her bum? Can't you see that in any other type of pants as well?

It's skirts and dresses that are actually immodest what with ladies' private parts uncovered and anybody able to take an upskirt shot. As my husband says when I wear a skirt ( nearly never), "Easy access!"

Clothing "modesty" is a social construct and not objectively true at all.

• cofty
    cofty
    gym teachers often wear yoga pants

Yes I am still mentally scarred by 60 year old, fat, bearded Mr Brown, Glasgow Scotland 1977.

I get Simon's point. The problem is that it is so vague that it is a charter for authoritarian elders to impose their personal tastes on everybody.

Actually it's not a problem - the more authoritarian they become the better.

• millie210
    millie210

What a GREAT and sizzling thread.

I am enjoying the intellectual back and forth of everyones points.

My point?

I am thrilled about this. Truly.

It has been rather hard trying to fade with my rabidly JW family alternating between tears/guilt and anger/shame in their attempts to "reach my heart".

When I first read this rumor almost a year ago, I mentioned it to still in family since it was a point I found on JWTalk .I thought that was a place even my family would not have a problems with since they are just like the folks over on that website.

Imagine my surprise when the retort was "those crazy rumors are what you get when you go to online sites period. You know the only site you can trust is JWs official site. "

The person saying this is the official leader of my extended family...elder, missionary etc.

I asked him "what if its true, this rumor?"

"It wont be" he said assuredly, "The Society would never be that imbalanced and controlling"

So I would like to tip my hat to the unbalanced folks that run the "org".

Thank you for making it SO much easier to look at my JW brother and say "now what?"

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

How can it be "unbalanced" to bring attention to what is essentially a human rights issue? An "unhealthy obsession", I can understand that. The issues must be clearly understood. We can't nit-pick for the sake of nit-picking.

I don't believe bringing this policy to light is unbalanced or nitpicking. What some may refer to as an unhealthy obsession is another man's website.

It comes down to grasping the underlying issues and your intent.

DD

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Isn't the WTS/JWS's pretentious superficiality a mute point ?

The WTS. has always stressed uniformity in modesty regarding dress and appearance

toward its members, as to appeal to the outside general public.

This has continued on in this version of the GB members......... not surprising .

Kind of like a enforced and regulated dress code within a business environment.

• cofty
    cofty

To be fair the letter does emphasise the word extreme.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit