Useless Majors

by Sea Breeze 35 Replies latest jw friends

• BettyHumpter
    BettyHumpter

"Looks like it is a little over 300K (In-State tuition) for a Bachelors degree at this university."

Uhhhhh....what the heck school is this? Harvard doesn't even cost that much.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

I googled "ut austin tuition 2022-23" and got this.

Looks like it could be substantially less based on many factors.

• BettyHumpter
    BettyHumpter

Yeah. Googling, the numbers are kinda all over the place. I got this which seems more realistic:

University of Texas at Austin

Average annual in-state costBefore aid$28,928After aid$18,350Aid includes grants and scholarships from the institution, state, and federal government Source: US Dept of Education (IPEDS)

Your link was this:
    For Academic Year 2022-23:
    Texas Residents: $78,232. Nonresidents: $90,742.

I'm guessing the University assigns a value for the years tuition, which almost no one actually ends paying the full cost for. (Except for maybe the super rich who can buy a way in thus funding the schools endowment). First one that comes to mind would be George W. Bush. He had a 2.35 GPA in High School yet attended Harvard. Without the family money, he would have been attending the local community college with those grades.
  • Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I wouldn’t say many STEM majors are useless. I would say polisci is pretty much useless.

There are a lot of academic studies that would do better if it weren’t a degree as much as a field of study. Like the example, shouldn’t be that specific, she should get a degree in anthropology and then specialize her PhD on the subject.

Most of the liberal arts things (majors in the arts, music, dance, painting etc) you shouldn’t get a degree for, but you would be better apprenticing for a master, interning at a museum or a research assistant to an actual lab and then the wheat and chaff would be much better separated.
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange
    She's gonna be limited to an academic career probably, so I would hope she's really passionate about the subject in order to get a job in what must be a limited field.

That's not necessarily true. We have a JW friend with a degree in Anthropology and specifically Egyptology who landed a great position with the US Government (in an agency that she cannot name). She is in the Accounting/PR area. All they required was a 4-year degree of any kind.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Here is a group of Millennial young ladies taking an exam in their Lesbian Dance Theory Studies degree. What kind of job prospects await these up and comers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrVWfayEm5I&ab_channel=ReggieLyon

Note: This is a current internet joke. Lesbian Dance Theory is an umbrella term.

• BettyHumpter
    BettyHumpter

"Here is a group of Millennial "

So i'm guessing 'Millennial' is just gonna remain a blanket term going forward when referring to young adults? Because the oldest members of that generational cohort are over 40 now...

I was under the impression that Gen-Z had graduated to the role of whipping boy when old people want to complain about the young. :)

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Doubtless someone far above my pay grade ended the Millennial generation birth year in 1996, and not at the start of the new Millennium. They probably didn't study Sociology like I did.

No whipping going on here. Just a reminder that you catch what you chase.

• BettyHumpter
    BettyHumpter

Doubtless someone far above my pay grade ended the Millennial generation birth year in 1996, and not at the start of the ne Millennium.

I suppose 15 years seems about right if the idea of generations having any sort of common cultural identity via shared experiences growing up is gonna make sense. Someone born in 1981 had completely different experiences growing up than someone born in 2000. The 1981 person's childhood/adolescence would have been pretty much indistinguishable from mine. (born in '73)

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Oh Sea Breeze that is just SO funny!!! Please have you got a transgender biology class video to share?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit