Useless Majors

by Sea Breeze 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

One young couple in Dallas graduated with a Law Degree and a Finance degree respectively. They earn around 400K a year between them and are only 25 years old.

It is ok to make money and create generational wealth for your descendants. Seems like a common sense thing to do.

Below is the average net worth of Americans by age. I wonder how JW's and XJW's match up against these stats?

Household net worth by age

Age...............Median ...........Average net worth
    Less than 35$13,900$76,300
    35-44$91,300$436,200
    45-54$168,600$833,200
    55-64$212,500$1,175,900
    65-74$266,400$1,217,700
    75+$254,800$977,600

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

seabreeze...youtube channel, the blue envelope did a video showing income by religion...yeah, he shows you where they are...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22vModQHjOA

• JeffT
    JeffT

I have a BA in English, I starting studying with JW's the year I graduated. Nine years later I went back to school (over the objections of the elders) and earned a certificate in accounting. The combination of BA and certificate served me well, I'm now retired from a decent career working in accounting, fiance and management for investment property.

A few years ago I found out what Art History majors do when they graduate. After we settled my parents estate I ended up with a Chiuly that had been a gift to my parents when Dad was lecturing. I think my insurance agent almost had a heart attack when I told him I had it. So I needed to get it appraised for a rider on the insurance. I located an art appraiser via google. Turns out she had earned a degree in Art History from UW a few years earlier. She met up with a long established appraiser who eventually turned his business over to her. Getting the degree had clearly given her the basics of what she needed to know. As she put it, her job introduced her to meet some nice people, look at a lot of cool art, put food on the table and a rood over her head.

What most people don't recognize is that the degree will get your foot in some doors, but a successful outcome depends on what you do after that. If your bright and hard working you can turn a job into a career. If you go through life thinking the world owes you something, you're in a for an awakening.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I'm just wondering what it costs to learn that people in what is now the American Southwest once ate corn.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Good points JeffT. Glad things worked ok for you.

enoughisenough - Thanks for posting that. I found the key document in the video. Wow! it shows JW's are dead last. The WT stole our dignity, our family, and our wealth.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

There are plenty of useless qualifications, at high school and college/university levels ...

Gender Studies

Black Studies

Queer Studies

... I could go on, but you get the gist.

Yes, plenty of graduates will be flipping burgers in the near future, lol

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Anything that ends in "studies" is likely not worth the cost of college.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Jeff have you ever thought that you don't need the Art History degree to do this.

will get your foot in some doors, but a successful outcome depends on what you do after that.

Seriously WT is right - save the fees.

I was surprised when the ministry turned in an art valuation opportunity with some elders. It was not what I was expecting but I did get lessons in how to spot fakes. WT being the biggest fake of them all trying to pass themselves off as Jehovah's Witnesses.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    I'm just wondering what it costs to learn that people in what is now the American Southwest once ate corn.

Looks like it is a little over 300K (In-State tuition) for a Bachelors degree at this university.

• Liberty93
    Liberty93

People always knock philosophy as being useless. The fact that you get to read interesting books and then have the highest average mid-career salaries of all non-STEM majors says otherwise. :-p

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit