does altruism exist?

by SpiceItUp 12 Replies latest jw friends

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

Does it exist?

Altruism is defined as
    1 : unselfish regard for or devotion to the welfare of others
    2 : behavior by an animal that is not beneficial to or may be harmful to itself but that benefits others of its species

Do we only do good deeds because of belief that it will somehow (even down the line) will benefit us, or is there such a thing as complete unselfishness?

does altruism exist?

• free will
    free will

depends on what we can get for it. ;)

• free will
    free will

just joking. yes, do believe it exists. it's in all of us. in the innermost reality of us all.

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

True Altruism in it's purest form? Hell No!

Merc'

• KGB
    KGB

I agree with freewill... "Have a heart and enjoy life in giving"

• DJ
    DJ
    Do we only do good deeds because of belief that it will somehow (even down the line) will benefit us, or is there such a thing as complete unselfishness?

That is a heart thing, imho. I believe that altruism absolutely exists in compassion and love.

• rocketman
    rocketman

I believe absolutely that true altruism exists, and I've seen it demonstrated time and again by people who in no way want pay back immediately or at some future date.

• Maverick
    Maverick

Only if I get mine! Maverick

• Nikita
    Nikita

I have seen it demonstrated in my own community, church, & when I was overseas. On more than one occasion, I have benefitted from someone else's selflessness.

• Mary
    Mary

Well, a few years ago, I got a co-worker some money that she was entitled to from the government. To make a long story short, they were trying to rip her off and she wasn't going to appeal their decision. I told her to turn the papers over to me and I'd get it for her. After dealing with the insanity of the government, I did get her the $40,000 that she was entitled to. (if one good thing came out of being raised a Dub, it was how to ignore someone when they tell you "No, go away!"

She wanted to give me half the money but I wouldn't take a cent (she's a single mom).

I didn't do this to benefit myself materially, but I did benefit when I saw the smile on her face when she got the cheque.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit