A Coin With a Remarkable History

by cofty 16 Replies latest social physical

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

PetrW,

Stranger things have happened. Those guys came back with a lot of interesting items they "liberated" while there. One other item he had that I was always fascinated by was a bible he carried that saved his life when a German soldier tried to bayonet him. He still got stuck but the bible slowed the blade down enough so that the wound was more superficial and though he ended the story there one would assume left him able to end the German soldier. The hole from the bayonet went right through the middle of the good book and many of the pages were soaked with blood. I believe he was buried with it.

I remember asking him why he was always in such a good mood and he replied after living through 3 years of combat he said every meal was a feast, every paycheck a fortune and every day a gift. Difficult to argue with that.

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

cofty,

I'm an avid coin collector. What you found is pretty amazing!

Under no circumstances should you ever put that coin into the contribution box.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Really interesting! I remember years ago when you shared your finds.

• cofty
    cofty

Thanks Dagney. Maybe I will post a few more. Maybe a Roman one next

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

That’s the advantage you have over me. I live in a country that was discovered about 250 years ago. One of the reasons it has a reputation for its natural beauty because humans haven’t been here long enough to wreck the place. I get neither the history nore the cultural diversity that you get grrr.

• LV101
    LV101

What a unique property -- recall photo you posted few yrs. ago of the beautiful estate. Your grandchild is going to be thrilled with this historical coin collection someday. I've saved my father's silver dollars but not one of them is of real value except to me. My husband collected silver dollars as a child and I keep telling him to check the dates on them. Seriously doubt he has one of the valuable Nevada gold/silver (both minted/late 1800s gold strike days) but the fond memories of collecting is special.

Ditto BluesBrother's comment. Happy treasure hunting.

• SydBarrett
    SydBarrett

"Since the end of WWII, our family is missing a few Roman coins and one silver triple grosz from 1539..."

It's only been 78 years. Probably in a pocket and will come out in the wash.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit