Are you less judgmental after you became ex JW?

by Iamallcool 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Any takers?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Hard to say. I think my core personality was well established in the cult. I'm not so judgmental about 'the world(tm)' now, I think it's all crap, Jobos included.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

For years after I left, I was still very judgmental about a lot of things that I really had no idea about. My mind was set against other's way of life and beliefs because of the JW indoctrination . Even when I found this forum, I would say things to posters that were quite ignorant. It took a long time for me to see how I was. It is totally different now. I regret the things I have said and felt.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I find I am much less judgemental about many of the things that were "wrong" as a JW, ie, homosexuality, premarital sex, cohabiting, etc. I have much stronger political views than I did as an active JW.

I'd rather believe there was rampant voting fraud than that many stupid people.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I realized that much of my life was spent examining issues that didn't exist and pursuing goals that were based on a false premise and someone else's agenda.

First and foremost, I became less judgmental of myself and less narcissistic and realized that I was not responsible for saving/enlightening the whole world nor was I capable of it. God's personal happiness and the fate of the whole world was not revolving around me and my minuscule life.

I have my own standards that I live by and I let others have theirs, even if they're not necessarily what I would do. If they ask me, I'll tell them why but otherwise, it's none of my business.

Guess what? nothing in this world change except that I now have more peace of mind because I'm good enough for God or anybody, just as I am.

If there is a God and he does have a future plan in store for mankind, there's no reason I shouldn't be included in it.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

PETE ZAHUT:

You are absolutely 100% correct about ‘pursuing goals based on a false premise’ and also ‘NOT being responsible for saving/ enlightening the whole world’. Also, about ‘Gods personal happiness and the fate of the whole world was not revolving around you and your minuscule life’…You hit the nail right on the head.

That’s what is drilled into the heads of JWs. Can you think of anything that could be more mental-illness inducing than having a mindset like this?? I can’t. This is all too much for a human being.

When I finally saw the ‘light’, I realized I was not responsible for the fate of the world or whether other people were saved, preached to or cared about God. Who, then, was responsible for me? This is all designed to keep JWs on a treadmill with no rest mentally or physically, constantly neurotic and worried and guilt tripped, etc.

When I began my ‘Fade’ and took a good look at people around me, I realized they were all living their lives. Whether I wasted precious years knocking myself out in vain following ‘somebody else’s agenda’, the world would still go on oblivious to whatever sacrifice I supposedly made..I know I wasn’t as zealous as other JWs (since I worked to support myself), but plenty of other JWs were!

• Biahi
    Biahi

Yes, I am less judgmental , hey Iamallcool, are you trying to replace Minimus? 😀

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

No! I will never be another Minimus! :)

• Overrated
    Overrated

I'm less judgmental as an ex JW. I totally think differently about others and see my own life different. I no longer serve a cult .

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Yes.

I have learned a lot from this board.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit