Why believe in a god?

by menrov 40 Replies latest jw experiences

• cofty
    cofty

From your link - One of the worst parts of “arguments”, especially in comment sections of news articles, is that people are insulting, name-calling, and being rude and negative to those who don’t agree with them... People patronize, belittle and blame.. When you do have a disagreement online, use kindness, humility, and tact.

It seems that I always aim for this standard while you are quick to belittle and insult somebody who disagrees with you. The irony is interesting.

• KalebOutWest
    KalebOutWest

Dear Cofty,

What do want from me.

Are you the elder who abuse me for 10 years when I a young man all that time I was in the Organization, come back to haunt me.

Is this what you want. To continue the abuse, but since you can't touch me, you've chose to come across via the Internet and be abusive like this now?

You can't stop, can you? I was a very nice young man, a very nice person among the Jehovah's Witnesses. But there were so many of you that were so mean.

And then coming out, you are still mean. Mean people.

I've made something good of my life. And you can't stand it. So now, you run into me, and you are there being abusive the only way you can, with words.

You are an evil man. You can't erase what you did in the congregation just because you are out, you know. It still happened. I know what you did.

Just because you don't believe there is a supernatural god watching over you, that doesn't mean you won't get what's coming to you.

It will happen.

You will still have to pay.

You will.

You are still a bad, bad, bad man.

• KalebOutWest
    KalebOutWest

So, leave me the hell, alone.

I don't need you trolling me anymore.

I thought I was safe here from you and people, like you. I guess I was wrong.

• cofty
    cofty

If anybody can point out to me a single occasion where I have 'abused' you on this or any other thread - or anybody else please do so.

Why are you ranting and raving at somebody you have never met and who has done you no harm?

What makes me 'evil'? Because I don't believe? I thought you said we were all free to believe or not. Because I dared to disagree with you respectfully refused to back down when you insulted me repeatedly? There is a lot of projecting going on here.

I think you really need to step away from your device for a while and get some perspective. I wish you no ill will.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Hard to watch you two do this. Kaleb, I respect your experience and insights. Cofty, you as well. I've gotten into tangles with people here without intending to offend. It happens. I think Kaleb was just emphasizing that the need to conform was part of our pasts. We all agree. Cofty is passionate about the injury religion has done in people's lives. We get that too.

• KalebOutWest
    KalebOutWest

When I was talking about abuse and mean people, I was NOT speaking about this thread or on this site.

The religious organization of Jehovah's Witnesses is a harsh place. It's not harsh because it is a cold box, but because it is made up of people, many of which are harsh in and of themselves. They don't necessarily become better people on the outside. Case in point.

I don't care if someone does or doesn't believe in this or that. It's whether they treat people better now. It's not religion that injures people. It's the people in religions that do. Those same people when they leave, do you think they suddenly stop injuring overnight? Do they change just because they stop believing in some supernatural deity?

If you don't believe in a god and they don't either, that doesn't mean they are suddenly going to be good people if they were horrible to you when you knew them in your Kingdom Hall. Becoming an atheist didn't erase the record of this child molestor from the congregation I once attended, so how can losing faith in a god change anything about one of Jehovah's Witnesses?

If a man was a bully in his JW days, then leaves and puts religion behind, does the bully suddenly dissolve too? Or does it only stay if he is religious? Is being atheist or agnostic a guarantee that the ex-JW has been cured of his bullying? Is there science to prove this? Or is that a myth too?

I believe in people who are atheists. I believe in people who are agnostic. 100%.

I don’t believe in people like Cofty, however.

• cofty
    cofty

KOW - What are you ranting and raving about?

I have never met you or your abuser. I have never been mean to you. I try to be respectful of everybody I interact with in real life and in this forum. I have never bullied anybody.

You reacted with anger when I said your post was a poor answer to the question in the OP. As a retired prof you are probably used to people agreeing with you. You became condescending when I didn't back down. Then you became insulting to the point of derangement calling me evil and accusing me of some dark crime. You claimed that my disagreeing with you was making you unsafe.

This is a discussion forum. People will disagree with you and persist in doing so despite your protests. Your conduct in this thread has been utterly appalling.

• KalebOutWest
    KalebOutWest

Cofty,

You don't remember me at all but I remember you. We have met. I am probably half way around the world from you now.

It's been years since we've had our last run in. And yes, it was very bad the last time.

You haven't changed at all. And it is like you to have a selective memory. You are still a bully.

I was not one to answer the way the Watchtower had things written down or to give talks the way the Watchtower wanted them to be given. I left when I was old enough and did things my way.

Sorry if my answer to the OP's question was again, like always, not to your liking.

I am not going to ever give an answer the way you like.

But this time, I don't have to.

I never had to.

You don't make the rules.

No one has to follow your rules.

Your not God.

Oh wait.

Why believe in a god? So why answer the question the way you wanted in the first place? I'm glad, that once again, like so many years ago, you didn't like the way I answered.

I'm so sorry you find it appalling. Did I fail my talk?

I'm not talking to you anymore, sad, bully. This ain't the Kingdom Hall no more!

• cofty
    cofty

Sad that you have resorted to gaslighting.

Tell us one thing about me that somebody who knew me in person would know but I have not shared on the forum.

• cofty
    cofty

You have a PM - Still waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit