Why believe in a god?

by menrov 40 Replies latest jw experiences

• KalebOutWest
    KalebOutWest

Look, I don't care what Cofty thinks about my post. It stands as it does.

People have a right to not believe in anything once they leave and to believe when they leave the Watchtower.

There are no definitives.

We are free to make our own ways.

If he wants to return us to "black-and-white" ways, as if there facts, let him draw them out, and you can follow him as your god or leader.

Let Cofty be your guide.

• cofty
    cofty

The gist of your post is that freedom to believe anything you want is sufficient reason to believe in god.

That would only be the case if you care more about feelings than facts.

I'm puzzled why you needed me to explain that.

• cofty
    cofty

Have you considered decaffeinated coffee?

• KalebOutWest
    KalebOutWest

No, that isn't what I said at all.

The question was "why" and not "what".

I am a big supporter for atheism and agnostism and ignostism as a matter of fact.

But "why" do people do things is different than "what is the reason" for something.

Also, the "god" wasn't explained. We're not Jehovah's Witnesses anymore. I left the organization years ago. Is this just Jehovah?

I used to be a teacher of religion. I'm retired now. Is this the Christian view of God? Is this one of the Jewish views of God (and are we talking Spinoza, Fromm, or Kaplan)? Let's say maybe even more Eastern or the various Native American or further south? Hindu maybe? What are we talking about for "god"?

Not all "god" forms hear prayer or resurrect or are deities or are even supernatural.

So where do you want to start.

I have my PhD. I'm ready, Cofty.

I'm puzzled why I even needed to explan that.

How about we just do Fromm?

• KalebOutWest
    KalebOutWest

I don't want to debate. I just wanted to leave a friendly note.

Why do people want to be fucking idiots on here! Geesh!

• cofty
    cofty
    No, that isn't what I said at all.

It's exactly what you said.

Why believe in a god? Because you are free to do so when you are outside of the control of a system that says you can't do anything but their way, that's why.

The ONLY sensible reason to believe or to disbelieve is evidence regardless of what version of 'god' you are referring to.

I have my PhD. I'm ready, Cofty.

Did you seriously write that?

• KalebOutWest
    KalebOutWest

I don't want to go further...I don't like deabting on the Internet.

If you missed your chance to join the National Speech & Debate Association, go to college and find a professor who will get in your face and make you argue all day with him.

But debating on the Internet is useless--it's for people who don't want to use their time wisely.

Read this and then, get another degree if you have one, or your first, if you don't:

https://www.theexceptionalskills.com/arguing-on-the-internet/

• cofty
    cofty
    as long as you respect their customs and convictions

I think this is the focus of our difference.

I do not respect theism. I don't respect religious dogma. I don't respect child genital mutilation. I don't respect teaching children to believe they have original sin.

I do respect people's right believe things that are objectively false.

I don't like deabting [sic] on the Internet

I suspect you do. You just don't like people answering you back.

• KalebOutWest
  • KalebOutWest
    KalebOutWest

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."--Mark Twain.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit