On respect for the belief of others. Sorry for the long post

by StarTrekAngel 372 Replies latest watchtower bible

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

How can you say that? That is not part of the definition and it doesn't make sense that it should be.

"Feelings, wishes and rights" are completely unrelated to beliefs.

Unless you are speaking about the right of someone to have their own beliefs, which completely comports with the definition.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

"Due regard" needs to be matched to things that deserve due regard.

It is telling that 'beliefs' was not listed in the definition.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Do you think other person's property is deserving of due regard? It's not on the definition, but it certainly is. Similarly, a person's belief may be worthy of due regard, even if it doesn't meet the criteria of adherence to reality, but meets another criteria, that of serving the greater good for mankind / society. And, again, notice that I'm not discussing religious belief systems in general, but an individual's belief.

Adherence to reality / evidence-based thinking may be the best possible way to evaluate the intrinsic validity of an idea, but it doesn't tell everything there is to say about the respect that it may (or not) merit.

Eden

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher
    Do you think another person's temper is worthy of due regard. It's not on the definition and it certainly is not.
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

EdenOne: Just because isn't included in the definition, it doesn't mean it's ruled out.

True.

EdenOne: It can be worded "due regard for the beliefs of others"

False. You don't get to change the meaning of words to fit your beliefs.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

In your scenario, it wasn't the belief that served the greater good of society. It was their choice of actions.

Two different things. They may seem to be correlated, but one does not necessarily follow the other.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

EdenOne: Do you think other person's property is deserving of due regard?

No. But we should respect the property rights of others. We should also respect the boundaries of their property. (The first can be any property, whereas the second would relate to real property).

We should respect the law generally, but if there is a law that is bad or wrong then civil disobedience is always an option, just be willing to suffer the consequences.

In every instance I can think of respect is either directly related to a person or to rights they enjoy as such. There are many things for which the concept of respect are simply inappropriate.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

EdenOne: And, again, notice that I'm not discussing religious belief systems in general, but an individual's belief.

I get that and appreciate the distinction you are attempting to make. But you are still using the word "respect" inappropriately.

Please correct me if I am wrong: as I recall English is not your native tongue. Is that right or not?

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Actually, Eden, upon reflection, you might actually be describing respect for someone's feelings in your scenario.

Regardless of beliefs, a person might have feelings that it's very important to help others. They might feel others' distress strongly.

That I could respect and in that case, I could agree with you.

• cappytan
    cappytan

I would ask anyone who's motivation to build a hospital was their religious belief why it took religion to motivate them to do something generous.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit