mentally ill/delusional or con artist?

by enoughisenough 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

maybe this has been discussed in the past and I wasn't here... What do you think? Are the GB members knowingly pulling a con, or do they have delusions of grandeur? I will go out on a limb here to say that I think they are con artist. Why? Because protecting the organization is the most important thing. To do that they have to come up with a control tactic, and what better way than to claim to be spokesmen for God himself. They have to know that some of the things they promote are against what is written in the Bible, and yet you aren't allowed to point that out or you are kicked out.

• Simon
    Simon

I actually find it difficult to accept that anyone truly believes things, but I'm willing to suspend my disbelief and go with the hypothesis that there are those who are sincere and maybe do.

Am I willing to accept that someone sincere would do what is necessary to climb a corporate ladder? (because all corporate ladders are the same)

Am I willing to accept that someone who is aware of all the crimes, sins, corruption and coverups is still "sincere" when they have reached the top?

No, no I am not.

It's all an act, no different to all the other TV evangelists who put on a show but clearly don't believe what they are selling - it's an act to take money from the sincere believers at the bottom.

Anyone who was sincere would shut it down when they reached the top. The fact that there has only been one GB member who had a Crisis of Conscience tells you how rare that is, and how self-selecting the climb to the top is. Maybe he was an anomaly as he might have got their from family relations.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    It does strain credulity to accept that they do sincerely believe their nonsense. But then again, people like ‘scholar’ seem thoroughly ensconced in cognitive dissonance.
  • TonusOH
    TonusOH

I wonder how much of it is psychology at play. On the one hand, I knew a few people who worked at Bethel or visited regularly and had reasonably high-level access to the GB. These were people who struck me as 100% true believers who had no doubts about the WTS being the one true organization led by god.

And yet, learning years later about stuff that they knew, I can't fathom how they could be so loyal and faithful if they knew the things they knew. Were they really that good at deceiving everyone around them? I think they had deceived themselves, because I never got the impression (and in some cases, still do not) that they were being insincere.

Maybe it's a form of group psychosis- you aren't quite sure, but everyone around you seems to be convinced, therefore it must be true. And so you behave with full confidence, not realizing that you are helping to reinforce the delusion for other people when they had doubts. And no one wants to express their doubts, lest they draw unwanted attention!

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS
    It's all an act, no different to all the other TV evangelists who put on a show but clearly don't believe what they are selling - it's an act to take money from the sincere believers at the bottom.

I think while they are climbing the ladder in the organization, they actually believe that they are the true spokesman for God.

Then it becomes a business! They see that all this charade is just like any corporation. How much money comes in, how much money goes out, lay people off, buy buildings, sell buildings, hire Lawyers, settle lawsuits, shrink books and magazines, sell old inventory of books and sell Kingdom Halls to pay for pedophile lawsuits.

They know it's a con. They receive free room and board, food, health care and free travel. They are put on a pedestal by Jehovah's Witness members. They make videos, guest speakers at assemblies and leave only when they pass away. Why not pretend and enjoy the benefits?

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

mentally ill/delusional or con artist?

yes!

• joey jojo
    joey jojo
    Tonus:
    "And yet, learning years later about stuff that they knew, I can't fathom how they could be so loyal and faithful if they knew the things they knew. Were they really that good at deceiving everyone around them? I think they had deceived themselves, because I never got the impression (and in some cases, still do not) that they were being insincere."

Exactly-the only way for a GB member to remain loyal to the organisation is to be dishonest. They have to be in order to push beliefs that they know are false.

For an example of a high-level JW in action, remember watching Rod Spinks performance at the Royal Comission into child abuse?

Here it is for anyone that missed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUAfgKdTeuQ&list=PLFiAod55UtbGcuR_y3RoTggp8wTZA6oec

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Like any conspiracy theory we have attempted to debunk for a believer. I'm sure we have all tried. The brain latches on like a pit bull and is only willing to selectively allow evidence past the gatekeepers.

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

The GB are crazy drunk delusional power hungry Con-men. Who just want money and power. Stop giving them money and power!

• LV101
    LV101

I'm going with "con artist," charlatans, liars -- I'll stop there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit