Why Jehovah's Witnesses are WRONG about Christmas

by David_Jay 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The O.P was an excellent Post from the estimable David Jay, I wonder if he is still about ? I really valued this one, and his many others, which gave me an insight on to the great Jewish views on a number of things.

We always celebrated Christmas when we were J.W's , if anyone had challenged us, we would have said it was a Family Gathering, which it was, about 15 around the table on both days. We didn't then have a Christmas Tree or anything.

In recent years we have given presents, had a Tree, etc.

We are all, as an extended family, non-theists, so nothing religious as such goes on, but we thoroughly enjoy this Happy Time of being with family and friends, the Christmastide always excited me, and it has got better !

This year there will be little of Chanukah in our celebrations, maybe a bloody great Menorah ?

Have a GREAT time at Christmas everyone, whatever your beliefs.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I am in agreement with LOU BOU TO even though this person is probably not on the forum anymore.

Yes, I believe the religion hates Christmas and other holidays because it seeks to separate and isolate JWs from the rest of the world - and especially their non-JW relatives. The pagan excuse is just that: an excuse. Everything is pagan: the months, the days of the week, wedding rings, etc.

I was not raised a JW and when I started my ‘Fade’ the first thing I did was to re-establish contact with estranged relatives. I sent out Holiday cards and it felt so good to reconnect with these people before it was too late. From then on I made sure I celebrated Christmas because I had such happy memories from childhood.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

When I was a child, some of the family on my father's side would visit for Christmas and bring gifts. My mother absolutely hated it, she did not want us to have a positive memory of a 'pagan holiday.' She is a hardcore JW from the start, and saw holidays as another way for Satan to work his way into your heart.

Today, I'm not religious, but I do celebrate holidays. Because they're awesome. If god was real, she'd have a shitload of holidays for us to celebrate, I bet.

• mikeflood
    mikeflood

They celebrated Christmas one time and they are gonna do it again....however no tree and no Santa, it's gonna be promoted as a good opportunity to do a little preaching...also they are gonna be changing to the using of the cross, discreetly ...just give time...more mainstream is the future.

After the last changes, anything could happen, just saying.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

go ahead and justify being pagan.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit