JWs - Organ, Tissue and Eye Donation

by darkspilver 16 Replies latest watchtower medical

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Richard, a hemoglobin check makes perfect sense. The JW population belong to a rare blood group that cannot have the part of blood that corrects for anemia. A belief, a phbia, a conviction...whatever, they can't have that part of blood. Early detection of an anemic condition, with a simple blood test for iron levels, is practical.

Iron supplements and diet can sometimes correct hemoglobin deficiencies in a person's blood, whether they appear healthy or not

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

For a hemoglobin count or a hemoglobin test you would need to draw blood for a complete blood count (CBC) or an arterial blood gas (ABG) that would give you hematocrit and PO2 and PCO2.

But chronic anemia to be diagnosed would require other tests. So I guess it would give someone a general idea that they may have an abnormal hemoglobin level but that that wouldn't diagnosis them with anemia.

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

Most ABG machines do hemoglobin and hematocrit along with the gases in blood.

• blondie
    blondie

RO, why don't you call the hospital....none of us here works for the hospital or are putting on the seminar.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Read my lips.

Early detection of a possible anemic condition.

First step

Early detection

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

OK Blondie I did email the hospital and the person putting on the event asking why they are running that kind of test.

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

Orphan Crow you are right. The person putting on the event wrote back and stated that the reason they are doing hemoglobin checks is to show if someone is possibly anemic and to encourage them to go to their doctor to diagnose and help manage it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit