What current movies have you seen? Give a little review if possible, aye or nay

by blondie 32 Replies latest jw friends

• sparky1
    sparky1

https://youtu.be/rvtll41-dAc

Deborah and I are big movie fans and we try to go at least once a month. Things have been dry on the movie scene for us lately. The last 2 movies we saw were ARCTIC and APOLLO 11. For us, both were excellent to watch. ARCTIC was gut wrenching and APOLLO 11 a feel good trip down the road of nostalgia.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

The new MIB is a snoozefest. There is nothing in it to recommend either lead actor. They have so little chemistry that it was "Anti chemistry". A waste of money except for the little pawn fellow and he was predictable.

Though Heredity is loved by critics it was a jumbled mess without any real scares. Others will disagree, more power to them. I found it derivative and predictable. To hear an 18 year old crying out for "Mommy" was comical.

Saw the latest spider man film. The air-conditioning was clearly the biggest attraction. It was a summer blockbuster and as such was more cartoon than live action film.

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

Patientzer 2018

A supervirus has turned humankind into highly intelligent, streamlined killers, and an asymptomatic victim who can communicate with the infected must lead the last survivors on a hunt for Patient Zero and a cure.

Zing

• tiki
    tiki
    A Beautiful Mind is one of the best movies ever imho....Russell Crowe is perfect in it....other older ones that I found fabulous ( Ralph Fiennes)....the Constant Gardener and the English Patient. The Bridges of Madison County another great one of yesteryear....and the Godfather series must sees. For a classic...The Sting.....😁
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I gotta admit that I haven't seen many current or recent movies.

Out of the few that I have seen, I like Hereditary (2018), The Witch (2016), The Theory of Everything (2014) and Gone Girl (2014), all of which I recommend. I suppose, for me, The Theory of Everything is the weakest movie in that quartet but it is still worth a watch.

Is it just me or were movies better in the 70s and 80s?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Here's the official trailer for Gone Girl (2014). It stars Ben Affleck as a married man who reports the disappearance of his wife on the day of their 5th wedding anniversary.

Yeah, it's pretty good. I don't want to spoil it for anyone so I just recommend that you watch it ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-_-1nJf8Vg

• blondie
    blondie

Thanks, wasanelder re MIB; I will wait until it comes on cable for free.

Toy Story 4, it is then next week. (I just watched Castaway on cable today, released in 2000, 19 years ago. I love Tom Hanks. He was basically the only actor in the film.

• TD
    TD

The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind (2019)

Mostly true story about William Kamkwamba, a young boy in Malawi during the drought, crop failures and starvation of the mid-2000's.

William, who liked to dabble with electronics, saved his village by building a windmill from scrap, which generated the power to pump water from an old well.

This meant cannibalizing the only bicycle in the village, which gives you an idea of how far out on a limb he went.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPkr9HmglG0

Like all movies of this type, (e.g. Argo, Sully, etc.) the huma drama is inflated a bit, but otherwise it would be a flat documentary.

Two thumbs up. If it doesn't tug at your heartstrings here and there, you're made of tougher stuff than I am.

• blondie
    blondie

TD, thanks for reminding me of that. The hype of the so-called popular movies drowns out movies like this.

• Onager
    Onager

Last movie at the cinema I saw was Lego Movie 2. I really enjoyed it. There's appeal for all ages in there, the storyline has progression from the first movie, the world has developed and the characters too. It was a bit messy compared to the first movie, which was tight, but I still enjoyed it enough to buy the dvd.

The next movie we're going to see will be the new Shaun the Sheep movie, Farmageddon. The cinema is so expensive that we only go to movies that my 4 year old wants to see. I wait for my films to come out on dvd...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit