Atheists....

by dottie 13 Replies latest jw friends

• dottie
    dottie

Just a question to satisfy my own curiosity...

Do Atheists believe in Christmas or Easter???

I always thought that real staunch Atheists didn't because of the Jesus involvement in these holidays....anyone know??

• nowisee
    nowisee

no, of course they don't believe....

but they want to be part of all the fun too. when i owned my new age bookstore i used to sell happy solstice cards for the atheists.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka
    happy solstice cards for the atheists

HA! That's cool. Would love to send one of those to a JW for Christmas. Happy Solstice! LOL

ash

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

No, a belief in Jesus is not a requisite for celebrating those holidays. A belief in some flying fat dude and an bunny that lays eggs is required, though.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Does it matter? I know of Jews that participate in the festivities, but it's not like they believe. I am borderline athiest, and you better believe that this year I'm getting the works, a tree, lights, wrapped presents, etc. We'll also celebrate Easter when we have kids. They'll get to paint eggs and such.

• Rado Vleugel
    Rado Vleugel

I don't believe in Christmas, but I do celebrate it as a family holiday (with my old grandparents who aren't JW's and couldn't celebrate Christmas for years because their daughter (my mother) and all their grandchildren were JW's).

Rado Vleugel
    http://www.watchtowerinformationservice.org

• Swan
    Swan

I'm agnostic.

I celebrate Christmas as a secular holiday rather than for the religious aspect of it. Its a great time for celebration of home, family, the spirit of giving, and goodwill to all men.

Easter I don't really pay much attention to. My husband, who believes in God, thinks of it as a kid's holiday, so he doesn't pay much attention to it either.

Tammy

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I'm an atheist.

I was raised a Dub, so I have no "fond memories" of XMas past or emotional attachments to the occasion; to me it is an arifact of a culture that I never shared.

That doesn't mean that I can't appreciate that Xmas means something to other people. Within their culture I can apprciate that it has emotional significance, perhaps. I think that for many others, in the USA at least, Xmas is a purely social occasion with obligatory conspicuous consumption enforced by the media.

To me Easter is the national chocolate/marshmallow "peeps" festival.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I don't celebrate easter. I eat chocolate bunnies any time of the yr;)

SS

• Aztec
    Aztec

If I didn't have a child I probably wouldn't even bother with either holiday. There's no need to believe in Christmas. I view it as purely a secular holiday. Easter is the same. The one holiday I really get into is Halloween. I love to dress up!

~Aztec

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit