• jurs
    jurs

Hi Chester,
    I appreciated your post.
    JURS

• think41self
    think41self

Chester

So nice to meet you, and welcome to the board. We need more posters like you with a warm and caring attitude, especially to those left behing, still trapped in the borg.

Sometimes we vent our anger and frustration at the borg, but never think it is directed at the loved ones and family members we all left behind. I am glad your wife is not pressuring you. I am so sorry that you lost a child. I cannot even imagine that kind of pain. Thank you for sharing a little bit of yourself with us. Stick around.

think41self

• bonnie38
    bonnie38

Welcome Chester.
    I enjoyed your thoughts. I've been out of the organization for four years, and I never realized what was really going on until I found this forum last month. I just ordered Crisis of Conscience by Raymond Franz from a book store. I was very sheltered also.
    Bonnie

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

I've been out for 8 years and I've finally worked up the nerve to order the book too.

I can't wait to read it. I'm ready now.

My name is Slipnslideius Masterus: commander of the armies of the North, general of the Felix legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius...

• Faraon
    Faraon

Same thing happened to me!
    I quit going to mass after the meat on Friday rule change.
    Before the rule change I had many sleepless nights as a young child. I could not wait to go to confession on Saturday if I ate meat by accident.
    I also figured that God would not be sending to hell one generation of people one day, and then all of a sudden he would not.
    I joined the Tower because I thought that they more closely resembled early Christians.
    Then I started seeing constant changes, and decided God would not be changing his mind so frequently.
    I then discovered the Internet.
    The rest is History.

JRP

• Faraon
    Faraon

It depends on your age.
    This change occurred over 30 years ago. The curious thing is that in some affluent countries red meat eating (you could always eat fish) was not forbidden year around, but it was in poor underdeveloped countries.

JRP

• waiting
    waiting

hi chester - and welcome!

I was raised a Catholic - and burgers did not pass my lips on Fridays until I was well into teenage rebellion. This was in the 60's in the usa - and it was, indeed, considered a mortal sin to eat meat on Fridays. Priests were not allowed to marry - period. To miss mass on Sunday would get you hellfire if you didn't get to confession before you died. Oh, and so did french kissing in Indiana. Along with about a kazillion other mortal sins......

So, when the change from not eating to eating meat occurred, I thought it was great, and I was already a jw. When I read the rather lengthy article on disturbed Catholics eating meat - I thought it was trumped up - how could something like that be proven? Besides, Catholic women were waiting for years for the right to practice birth control. So many of the laws we lived under were church laws, and we knew it. But we were taught that church laws were just as valid as God's laws.

Sounds like the WTBTS, doesn't it? Always living under laws for most everything, eh?

Nice to meet you.

waiting

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Teejay:

That's a good one, but not the one I was thinking of.

This is it, from the Awake, April 22, 1970 (Knorr must have had a real boner for the Catholics that year):

The effect upon many devout Catholics has been devastating. "All these years I thought it was a sin to eat meat," explained a housewife in the midwestern United States. "Now I suddenly find out it isn't a sin. That's hard to understand."
    If you are a Catholic, can you understand how a practice that was considered by the Church a "mortal sin" can suddenly be approved? If it was a sin five years ago, why is it not today? Many Catholics cannot understand.
    When a woman in Canada was asked how she felt about the changes in her church, she replied: "I don't know. Maybe you can tell me. What are they going to do with all those people sent to hell for eating meat on Friday?"
    Not just a few Catholics have asked such questions. The change in teaching has shaken their confidence in the Church. Would you not feel the same way if what you had always been taught to be vital for salvation was suddenly considered unnecessary? Would you not be inclined to question other teachings of your church also?

How I could have gone through all those years without turning paragraphs like this around and seeing if the WT measured up to it's own writings just amazes me.

Expatbrit

• Camay
    Camay

I also enjoyed your post. I was asked to convert and did my research too. I only wish the person who wants me to convert would do his homework. But he refuses to listen to my findings. He was raised a JW and WILL NOT even consider reading anything bad or good about JW and the WTBTC unless its the OFFICIAL reading material.

Maybe I will just print out your post and leave it on the printer.
    However I have been able to ask question like "Have you read this
    scripture? Slowly peck at certain believes.

I think its working or it could be because the basketball game was on today =)(this was the first Sunday he DIDNT attend the Hall)

I my research it says that I must only use the Watchtowers own Publishings and back it with scripture.Perhaps you could try this with
    your wife.

Ask her if she could skip a meeting and have a at home study with you
    instead. This way you could show her what the bible really says about
    certain ideas that the JW believe (I started with the cross & crufiction )because JW dont believe in the cross thing with Jesus.

Good luck to you and I hope your wife see the light. If not you could
    be in for a emtional roller coaster.

• Jang
    Jang

Interesting that you felt that badly when you ate that hot dog. I was taught that if I was so hungry that
    I could eat the meat, as long as I did not want to do it deliberately.

There were dispensations to the rule, but obviously no one told you about them .... sad because you
    felt so fearful as a result.

Good to see you are out and here's to you being able to shake off all the shackles as they arise.

JanG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit