Jaracz

by Freedomrules 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Swan
    Swan

Yes, Don Adams is the president now. Just after 1975 he was the first person to have said "Missed it by that much!"

Tammy

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Swan....that was very funny..........really

• Gerard
    Gerard

A woman said he, Ted Jaracz, molested her and other kids forty years ago while District Overseer in L.A.

California California does not maintain an online sex offender registry. California provides information on sex offender registration requirements. More Info

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

As I understand it Don Adams is Prez of the WTBTS but not part of the GB correct?

• Freedomrules
    Freedomrules

I appreciate the posts, but I still don't understand what the deal with Jaracz is. Everyone who mentions him does so with great vehemence. Is there a reason? And who is Don Adams? Don't remember him either. I do recognize George Couch, from what I heard he was a crotchety old bastard in the 70s!

• blondie
    blondie

Here are some comments about Ted that might clear up the mystery:

http://www.freeminds.org/bethel/gbgrowsold.htm

Rumors of Power Play

As yet there is no indication of any form of outright dissent within Bethel or the current leadership, but rumors are that GB member Ted Jaracz is the hard-line boss squelching all reform at present. He is in charge of the organization’s "storm troopers," the Service Dept. One dissenter writes:

There is a big philosophical split between the Writing Dept. and the Service Dept. — liberals versus conservatives. The Writing Dept. (was) headed by GB member Lloyd Barry, who I've heard mixed reviews about. I've been told by people who know him that he's fairly hard-line or fairly soft-line. I suppose it depends on one's point of view. Ted Jaracz heads up the Service Dept. and those who have commented about him are unanimous that he's a hard-line (omitted). The other GB members call him "The Boss" and they aren't just making fun. Barry and Jaracz, and of course their respective departments, have major disagreements about how JWs should behave and how the JW organization should be run. The nasty, hard-line approach of the last 20 years is due almost entirely to Jaracz' dominance.
    A couple of weeks ago when I was in New York I took some time and took the Bethel tours. While there I contacted the author of the Creation book. Naturally, I took him to task for the misrepresentations in his book, but was able to keep him talking for 1 1/2 hours. At the end, he told me that he (presumably this reflects the attitude of the Writing Dept. generally) was quite unhappy with how the elders in general don't follow the advice given in The Watchtower. It was surprising that he would admit this but no surprise that the Writing Dept. feels this way. It also shows the great gulf between the liberal and conservative camps, because the elders don't act just on what's in The Watchtower but on what they get from COs and in private letters from the WTS directly to elders. This all comes from the Service Dept. So whenever there are conflicting directions from the Writing Dept. in The Watchtower and from the Service Dept. via the CO and direct letter channels, naturally the elders will follow the privately-given instructions. This is how the elders have ended up with the extreme nastiness and conservatism of Ted Jaracz. The amazing thing is that the Bethel people like this author don't seem to understand this. They seem to think, in the usual JW fashion, that God will fix everything in due time. So this lunatic attitude on the part of the leading WTS "thinkers" filters down to the JW community and sets the tone… In my opinion we're going to see some big cracks open up within 2-3 years after 2000, with increasing unrest until then.

Jaracz, however, is one of the youngest of the GB members. Perhaps before his light fades away his rule will be toppled, much as happened to Knorr in 1975. All it really takes is a change of assignment, a tactic used at Bethel to move people in and out of key positions. Sometimes your greatest danger is from those you work alongside.

http://www.exjws.net/pioneers/daniels.htm

With Floyd Garrett in control, things went along nicely until the early 1950s when the largest post-war assembly was held at Sydney’s old Moonfield Racecourse – now a housing estate. Nathan Knorr and Milton Henschel arrived from the U.S.A. and brought with them a group of Gilead graduates who were mostly Canadians as I recall. They were Bob Smart, John Cutforth, Ben Mason, Don Macleon and Ted Jaracz. These brothers were deployed to really get the work moving in Australia and they really did take up the post-war slack and get things on the move by implementing some new aggressive Watchtower initiated tightening up.

One of that group of Gilead brothers who arrived with Nathan Knorr in the early 1950s was Theodore (Ted) Jaracz. He was assigned the office of Branch servant to replace Floyd Garrett, and under his control, we felt the first real implementation of tight rules and policies from New York. Jaracz was a secretive and non-committal superior sort of person, but even so he was well liked and accepted by most of the local JWs.

I also had several opportunities to work with him in the house to house work, and on one occasion, he condescended to sit though one of my public talks on the subject of "The Trinity" which was one of the most boring subjects I was ever assigned to speak about, and I don’t think I made a good impression on Jaracz as a public speaker on that occasion when I was 25 years of age (now 69). I am almost sure that his purpose in attending the public meeting that day was to assess my potential for speaking assignments at large assemblies and I failed to meet his standard (thank goodness). I do clearly recall that in those days so long ago now, that Jaracz used to suffer from painful migraine headaches, and he told me this. The problem caused him to cancel speaking assignments from time to time when a substitute speaker would be required to take his place. Jaracz returned to the U.S. during the early 1960s and another American was sent out to take his place as Branch Servant and his name was Douglass Held who was accompanied by his wife.

I never heard any thing more about Ted Jaracz until I read about him in Ray Franz’ book Crisis of Conscience and I was so surprised to see that he was a member of the Governing Body. Now your latest Free Minds Journal presents him as a "big noise" in the Governing Body and a hard-liner, as well as being a dominant influence on decision making, etc., which does not bode well for any hope of more liberal policies appearing within the cult.

Blondie

• Freedomrules
    Freedomrules

Thanks, Blondie! Great info!

• Mary
    Mary

I thought Milton Henchel was running the show............or did he kick the bucket and left good ol' Teddy in charge???

• garybuss
    garybuss

http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/5517518.htm

Posted on Sun, Mar. 30, 2003

Milton Henschel, executive with the Jehovah's Witnesses
    New York Times

NEW YORK - Milton G. Henschel, a member since 1971 of the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses, which looks after their religious programs around the world, died March 22 at his Brooklyn home. He was 72.

The Jehovah's Witnesses' public information office did not give a cause.

He lived in the complex of buildings in Brooklyn Heights that is the world headquarters of the Jehovah's Witnesses, a Christian denomination founded in the late 19th century that believes the end of the world is near and advocates door-to-door evangelism.

Mr. Henschel was a member of the staff of the world headquarters since 1939 and was the president since 1992 of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania Inc. and the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society Inc. of New York state, two of the corporations that the Jehovah's Witnesses use to conduct their business affairs, which include publishing Bibles.

He was also president of the International Bible Students Association. A native of Pomona, N.J., Mr. Henschel had several years of religious training at Jehovah's Witnesses training institutions in Brooklyn Heights. He was ordained a Jehovah's Witness minister in 1934 and traveled to 150 countries while overseeing, and taking part in, ministry activity.

He is survived by his wife, Lucille; and a brother, Warren, of Canada.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit