Conventions & "Apostates"

by patio34 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• patio34
    patio34

Just throwin' this on the table:

Who ARE those people outside of the conventions every year with signs? We always called them apostates, but who knew? Does anyone know if they are bitter ex-jws or other religions?

Patio

• TR
    TR

Good question. I'd say they are Xdubs like us who were willing to go public.

I remember a guy at the Tacoma convention every year. He had a megaphone and constantly yelled, "WATCH OUT FOR THE WATCHTOWER!"

Another man held a sign that said, "Watchtower Society, A Non-prophet organization".

Of course like good dubs, we tried to ignore them as we passed, but during lunch several of us hung out to watch the "apostates". It was interesting, like watching Satan the devil in the flesh. lol!

TR

"cults suck"

• Jang
    Jang

As TR said, they are xjws like us who are willing and able to speak out publicly.

We did a picket a few years back and our phone message for JW's rang off the hook for days - they
    all seemed to be busy writing down the number and we sent out lots of info packets

I was also involved in one outside Bethel in Brooklyn when I was there in 1990. All the Dubs were
    so busy trying to look but not be seen looking ......

I think it is important that they know that there are others out there ..... and I have heard from a
    few who rememered us being there and contacted us when they came out.

The internet has made a difference and now it is easier for Dubs to get info - a lot easier that
    when we could only do it with leaflet drops and pickets.

JanG

• patio34
    patio34

Wow! TR and Jang, that is so interesting! And there was a lot of response on the phone lines too. I can't believe how I've started to view things 180 degrees differently now! But it takes time. That would really put the frosting on the cake if i went down to the convention with my sons there!

Patio

• ridgerunner57
    ridgerunner57

I still remember well, circa 1974. I was still in high school, full time pioneer and gave a talk at the Puyallup district assembly. It was the first time I noticed those folks with the signs and bull horns. I really wanted to hear what they had to say, but of course the attendents were forcibly pushing the brethren away. We were told that if we "looked like we were listening it would encourage them". So I went up to the top of stadium, stood on the inside edge so no "apostate" could possibly see me. Two "brothers" forcibly removed me from the area. It was quite apparent that I was not going to be allowed to listen to any subversive information. That was the time that really began to look at what was happening within the org.

• Jimmer
    Jimmer

I held a sign up a couple of years ago. It was an interesting experience. For all the love that is supposed to be in the Organization, I didn't see any of it. I don't think I saw a single smile amongst the masses that passed me. My sign simply read, "God loves you and we do to." I was once in the org., but now I'm free.
    Two things of note happened that day. 1) I got to chat with a young lad (18 or 19yrs) for quite awhile; until his mother found him. 2) I saw my folks there. Like obedient puppy dogs," they passed without a word. I did acknowledge them with a, "Hi Dad!" (I don't think he appreciated it.)
    I tell you, my heart really goes out to all those long-faced people. You'd think they just got out of a funeral.
    Talk about mind-control.
    Oh well.
    At least I escaped.

• zev
    zev

i rememeber in the late 70's early 80's seeing the signs, pickets and posters. i have not seen them in a very long time. i will tell you this, if i ever see them outside again, i'll make sure i give a fine 'how do you do' to them. i won't treat them as i did back in the 70's/80's. this time, i'll be a christian about it.

__
    zev
    Sitting on the Wrong Side of the Fence Class

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

I hired an airplane to fly over Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles around 1982 or 1984. It had the message "1980 Bethel Shakeup" with a phone number. Probably three different families later communicated with me, saying that it had helped them get out. I didn't find out about most of them until years later! They mentioned how they had to remember the number until they could go to the bathroom or somewhere private and write it down. Bethel made sure we couldn't do that next time around!

• patio34
    patio34

Those are interesting stories.

Dogpatch, I was in the audience at Dodger in '82 (and onward). But I don't remember the plane and I probably couldn't see much for ALL the sweat dripping down my face in the heat we had there every year! Those were uncomfortable times at Dodger in the noonday sun. "Only mad dogs, Englishmen, and Jehovah's Witnesses are out in the noonday sun" . . .

Jimmer, that's a poignant tale about your parents walking by you!

Patio

• ridgerunner57
    ridgerunner57

Since I was as far in as I was; and I owe my deliverance to unknown sign holders.... Yes, I want to know if there is any organization I can sign up with. I will hold a sign to return the favor I was given so many years ago. Maybe I just need to go down to the Tacoma Dome!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit