Do you think the JW's ever will or could go the Mormon route?

by BettyHumpter 21 Replies latest jw friends

• BettyHumpter
    BettyHumpter

What I mean is the Mormon's have their own set of wacky beliefs and are a pretty insular group, engage in a form of door to door ministry but don't discourage higher education. In fact, the handful of Mormons I went to school with were pushed to excel academically and go to college. Yeah there are ex Mormons but for a great many, going to University doesn't turn them into atheists. They study biology, philosophy, physics etc. but still manage to keep believing in seer stones and a magical tophat, the planet Kolob and Jesus visiting the native americans. Cognitive dissonance and family ties are pretty powerful.

The main roadblock for the JW's is they'd have to lighten up on the 'end is coming soon' rhetoric. But on the other hand, engineers and doctors and lawyers have alot more money for the contribution box.

• Biahi
    Biahi

I think they will slowly shrink into obscurity…🙏

• Smiles
    Smiles

I don't know if LDS Mormons are borrowing ideas from WT, or if GB helpers are just peeking at LDS stuff and then pass on similar ideas to the GB who run with it as their own.

Several years ago I did hear a rumor that Morman LDS leadership had approached JW GB leadership about the possibility of merging. I stayed alert to any indications to support the rumor.

When WT began rebranding itself with younger GB, new corporate extensions, and .org media (which is eerily similar to preexisting LDS Mormon media) that would have been a good time to deploy a merge, but obviously they did not merge, only used similar rebranding strategies.

It is curious... both JW & LDS began publishing video "broadcasts" from leadership (yes, actually called "broadcasts"), also a talk show style feature with missionaries like the JW "Inside Story" which LDS named "Face to Face", and even an animated video series for LDS children with a character actually named "Sophia" just like the JW Sophia from "Caleb & Sophia"... Oh, and let's not forget the embarassing WT attempt for a JW "choir" led by Maestro David Wannabe Splane which falls embarassingly short of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

The similarities don't end there.

"Check it out"...

"Get the facts"...

See for yourself:

LDS Broadcasts

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/media/collection/broadcasts?lang=eng

Mormon "Sophia" Animated Videos

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/media/video/2021-12-0020-sophias-baptism-promises?lang=eng&alang=eng&collectionId=5c478c78c3444f3fbead011d27254c4c

Mormon Talk Show

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/media/collection/face-to-face-events?lang=eng

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Maybe the Mormons are a lot thicker , mentally diseased , than the JW- Witnesses are.

• Biahi
    Biahi

Mormons merging with JWs? I wonder what witnesses would think about that. Mormons don’t drink alcohol or coffee. 🤣

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    Why would JWs want to go the Mormon route. They already have a bigger more engaged following. In the present situation, with covid, they have feared better than the LDS.
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice
    BH -
    Do you think the JW's ever will or could go the Mormon route?

Only if there's money in it for the GB(TM).

• BettyHumpter
    BettyHumpter
    Why would JWs want to go the Mormon route. They already have a bigger more engaged following.

Only if there's money in it for the GB(TM).

• Smiles
    Smiles
    Why would JWs want to go the Mormon route. They already have a bigger more engaged following.

False.

Mormon population as of 2021 reported at near 17,000,000.

JWs 8 mil.

Fact check.

"more engaged following" is subjective and unfalsifiable.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

I have thought about Mormons: how does anyone go along with those teachings. I thought the same about Catholics and their "worship" of the pope. Scientology has a huge following with their bizarre set of beliefs...I could go on and on....I didn't see the connection that I was one who was also following men...( this faithful slave ) If there are some PIMI reading these posts, be sure and tell your students what they are really getting into when you are encouraging them to be baptised.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit