Just Another Issue

by MrMoe 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Shakita
    Shakita

In a congregation that I belonged to years ago, there was a woman who was a pioneer along with her daughter. I didn't know her personally, other than what you just see from her attendence at meetings, which isn't saying much. We left that congregation and learned many years later that this poor woman was homeless and living in the woods. She lived off of the generosity of others and family members that would come and give her supplies. The local newspaper had written an article on this woman because the owners of some property she was living on were trying to throw her off. The newspaper interviewed the daughter and the daughter did indeed bring out that her mother was mentally ill and her family couldn't persuade her come home and take her medication. It is a very sad story. I am not sure where this woman is today. I hope that she is back on her meds and is warm and dry somewhere.

Homelessness is a vicious cycle that can happen to anyone. Get sick, lose a job, lose your home, and when a person does not have family or friends to help them out when things are low, you become another statistic of homelessness.

Great post, Mr. Moe.

Mrs. Shakita

• Jayson
    Jayson

Being homeless should be against the law.

• JH
    JH

Most of us will never be homeless, but it could happen to anybody. Often the government hides the true statistics of poverty and makes things look better than they really are. Good thread MrMoe This song reminds me of what we are talking about here.

Another Day In Paradise

She calls out to the man on the street
    "Sir can you help me?"
    It's cold and I've no where to sleep,
    is there somewhere you can tell me?

He walks on, doesn't look back
    He pretends he can't hear her
    He starts to whistle as he crosses the street
    Seems embarrassed to be there

Oh, think twice, 'cause it's just another day for you
    and me in paradise
    Oh, think twice, 'cause it's just another day for you,
    You and me in paradise

She calls out to the man on the street
    He can see she's been crying
    She's got blisters on the soles of her feet
    She can't walk but she's trying

Oh, think twice, 'cause it's just another day for
    and me in paradise
    Oh, think twice, 'cause It's just another day for you,
    You and me in paradise

Oh lord, is there nothing more anybody can do
    Oh lord, there must be something you can say

and me in paradise
    You and me in paradise

You can tell from the lines on her face
    You can see that she's been there
    Probably been moved on from every place
    'Cause she didn't fit in this

and me in paradise
    You and me in paradise

Just think about it

It's just another day for you and me in Paradise

• Simon
    Simon

I don't think anyone who is homeless made the decision to be that way or planned it.

Some will have been victims of their own poor life choices and others will just be victims.

The problem is for many that the quick and easy conscience appeaser of giving them money can do more harm than good if it is spent on alcohol or drugs. I would rather contribute to a good charity for the homeless that gives practical help.

I always buy a copy of "The Big Issue" which is a paper / mag over here always sold by homeless people who have to be clean (drink / drugs) to take part and it gives them a job and a new start.

• Brummie
    Brummie

I went to Capitol Hill & the Whitehouse in Washington and what stood out to me more wasnt the huge glamorous buildings we often see on our TV in England but the handful of homeless people nearby that were begging for money.

I guess its the same all over the world, its obvious to see what the government spend the most money on presenting themselves.

Brummie

• dedalus
    dedalus
    Here is where you react with your personal problems which are rather petty (sorry not trying to be rude here) life situations that amount to a hill of beans, barring extreme life circumstances, compared to say, that one guy who wears rags and talks to himself on the corner of Main and Broadway.

So, because I'm not homeless, my personal problems are therefore petty? Isn't it possible to be concerned about homeless people without being piously self-deprecating?

As for that stupid Phil Collins song -- how much money did he make so sensitively crooning away about the homeless, anyway?

Dedalus

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Most of the homeless refuse help offered. I really and trully agree with people who believe in forced rehabilitation for these mentally unstable folks who are also junkies and drunks. No, not all homeless qualify there, but many many many do. Handing money to them from the government a la San Francisco is the wrong approach.

• JH
    JH

You don't seem to be in a happy mood today Dedalus.

MrMoe didn't say your problems weren't real. She wasn't talking to ME or YOU in particular, but to ordinary people in GENERAL. Often we don't realize that some are much worse off than we are. As for the Phil Collins song, it makes people realize that we are lucky compared to people with BIGGER problems than we have. Who cares how much money he made with that song. That's not the point here.

• Jayson
    Jayson

I agree with you Simon.

To make being homeless a crime is to force the government to deal with it. No one should die in the cold of Westen Civilization. In America it is of the worst of shames imo. In my college years I was very active in the soup kitchens of my area. Now the program is much larger and I am not needed. But I think it would be good for everyone who wishes [it] to experience what I did.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Dallas Mayor Laura Miller just got panhandling banned on Dallas streets. It's her way of getting rid of the homeless in order to attract big conventions and corporate relocations. She says it's a safety issue. Mayor Miller is also the one who got smoking banned in all restaurants in Dallas recently.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit