Another Sad Shunning due to homophobia by J.W's !!

by Phizzy 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• Phizzy
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy
    “I grew up in the countryside in rural north Cork as part of the Jehovah’s Witness community. My upbringing was very sheltered. In school I was very much a class nerd. I just put my head down and it was all about getting the best grades. It wasn’t until my college years that I really thought about [my sexuality] in any meaningful way.
    There were definitely signs in my teenage years that there was something up. I had quite bad anxiety and I went through periods of depression and SAD. I was probably the last person on Earth to realise that I was gay. And then it took a few years to come to terms with that, to come out and be myself.
    I was taught that if you were gay and a Jehovah’s Witness then you were celibate and you just had to accept that you were going to be single for life. It’s a tall order to make of someone and it certainly wasn’t going to work for me.
    I knew my parents were going to disown me and the wider Jehovah’s community were going to do the same. And I knew, very clearly, that when the break came, it was going to be a clean break and family and friends would be lost. You lose your community when you [come out]. It’s a cruel thing that’s done. And it’s something I strongly disagree with'
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

The cult of JWs is intended to break up families..

The cult puts itself between family bonds.

• TxNVSue2023
    TxNVSue2023

No sure why you blame JW's -- the Bible is very clear on this subject.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" the Bible is very clear on this subject." (< that is disputed )

I bet you don't follow ALL the other things it is "very clear" on !

No, Cherry-pick to support homophobia, and ignore the rest.

Hypocrite.

• TxNVSue2023
    TxNVSue2023

Lol - it's very clear. And there are many other religions that follow it.

But you are the one cherry- picking the JW's.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

That's not homophobia. No one is afraid of homos, they just don't like them and think that they are living against Bible principles.

• Touchofgrey
    Touchofgrey

And yet most Christians will be happy to disregard leviticus 19:19 and wear clothes with mixed fibers, wool and linen.

Leviticus 11 :9-12 only eat seafood that has fins and scales, many Christians will ignore that also and enjoy shellfish.

Cherry picking scriptures a Christian pastime.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" Cherry picking scriptures a Christian pastime."

That was exactly my point above, where I called the Lady ? a hypocrite.

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

During my decades of being a JW, I didn’t dislike gay people. I still feel that way.

i think that people are more than their sexuality and it is their decision to make. Recently a gentleman I know told me (really out of the blue) that being gay has been the greatest challenge of his life - something he would never choose if it had been a choice.

Our conversation convinced me that it is better not to judge. The Bible does have a few things to say about various lifestyles, but it is speaking to each individual- not a religious police enforcer. Matt 7:1 seems to underscore that each person will answer to God - they will not answer to other men who are not qualified to read hearts. Personally I think God has more understanding than we give him credit for having.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit