Birthdays are Evil - so they said

by EverApostate 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

Last week I celebrated my birthday. Accepted well wishes from people near and far. Had been happily accepting wishes from people since I quit the cult.

As a JW, (brainwashed ) belief that Birthdays are evil was the stupidest belief I had in all my life.

When in, I had a hard time to explain to people that I don’t celebrate birthdays. Some openly commented that I had gone nuts. Now I realize that they would have considered me the weirdest Wacko they had ever seen

Actually what is a Birthday? The day we were born and we remember it every once in a year to recall your birthdate and to feel great that you have made it alive up until then.

Our well-wishers wish us happy birthday on that date of the year, to make us feel special and we happily realize that people remember us. It gives a sense of warmth that we are remembered, because humans are social animals. What is evil in that?

This whole Cock and bull story of the Watchtower about birthdays, that people were murdered and god views death day more important than birthdays …. What a ton of garbage thinking.

How did you all consider Birthdays when you were in ?

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

The same way you do. It was the hardest and most ridiculous thing to have to explain to non JW's. No wonder every non JW thinks the witnesses are looney.

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

You forgot an important part of birthdays that I discovered when I celebrated my own for the first time recently... the free drinks everyone buys you

• EverApostate
    EverApostate
    Saethydd - Right. The free drinks offered by Work mates.
  • Jrjw
    Jrjw

I felt stupid explaining to my family when I became a witness why we don't do birthdays coz it didn't make sense to me. I found out recently i could have celebrated it all these years coz it's not even a disfellowshipable offense. I'd have just kept it quiet

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Even in my deepest mentally in days, I always felt not celebrating birthdays for the reasons given was a stretch.

• Steel
    Steel

Hitler liked cheeseburgers

Stalin liked cheeseburgers

Cheeseburgers are evil.

The 1 plus 1 equals 3 mentality in the Borg is just ridiculous.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate
    Steel, Great Rationality. I should use this with a JW next time.
  • LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

EVER APOSTATE:

I am glad you celebrated your birthday and don't think you are evil. Like the holidays, it's another occasion to get together with people who care about you.

Pay no attention to what the religion said (pagan nonsense) because they just want to isolate you from non-JW relatives and friends. They are afraid if you experience happiness around people who aren't judging you - you won't want the religion anymore. Their reasons are crap...Everything is pagan: days of the week, calendar etc. and you'd have to get off the planet to escape it.

I always believed Job's children celebrated birthdays.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate
    Thanks nowwhat and LongHairGal.

The more years go by, away from the cult, the more happy we become while getting adjusted to normal mentality.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit