Witnesses still having some success at doors

by JH 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Joker10
    Joker10

I thought JW's can't count peop;e who aren't home as a revisit.

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

By far the vast majority of those who took literature from me, were doing so to just be polite because I had somehow "caught" them at the door. Either they couldn't hide (out working in the yard) or they were from deep in the rurals where strangers never ever come to their door (selling candy or whatever else people go d-t-d selling in larger towns and cities), and they feel compelled by politeness to answer the door (like some people feel compelled to answer the phone even if they don't feel like talking to anyone).

I knew they were just being polite, and they knew I knew (hey, I have small-town social skills too). Some people in my congregation were relentless in making these poor souls RVs (it's a shame they should suffer for their politeness), and just hounded them every 2 weeks (this, in an area where householders occasionally said things like, "But you were just here!"...."Really, when?"..."Last year about this time!").

I, personally felt guilty about harassing people who were painfully uncomfortable with having me at their door, but took the mags anyway (this did get me flack from some COs and elders or other pioneers, especially those who had been with me when someone took literature). So I didn't call back on them. Especially after the elderly Catholic woman I'd stopped by to see 3 or 4 times actually burst into tears and wailed, "Oh, why can't you just leave me alone???" (God that was traumatic, for me even more so than her! and it was bad enough for her!!)

I'd go back on those who didn't seem to mind, and say something like, "If you enjoy the magazines, I can arrange to bring them by whenever we're in the area, every month or few weeks. Would you like that?" I had RVs but only those who actually wanted the mags dropped off.

• Spudinator
    Spudinator

This is a fascinating thread. And having always thought that I was a freak because of purposely avoiding interested RV's whenever possible.

• SwordOfJah
    SwordOfJah

To be honest, the house-to-house work is getting tougher these days. The main reason is because householders are very busy. Many are working so it's hard to find them at home, specially in the mornings. That's why the Society game the recommendation to try house-to-house work in the evenings. Our congregation has had success in the evenings as most people are home after work.

The toughest test is finding people again that were interested. I find many interested ones in the first visit, but it's hard to track them down as their schedules are full. This happens specially during holidays, they might have a day off and I find them at home and have a good conversation, but then to find them home again is nearly impossible.

I've found much joy in doing informal witnessing. There is a car wash near my home that is always packed, many are waiting for their turn and are just standing there doing nothing. I've had many biblical conversations this way.

• Gordy
    Gordy

What do you mean "the house to house work is getting tougher these days" !!!

It always was. I used to work a huge suburban residential estate, for 12 years, 1977 to 1989. It was just as tough when I moved away than when I first started. Many were just as busy then as they are now. Trying to get people at home was a nightmare, mornings, afternoons, evenings we tried them all. Evenings where marginally better, but you still rarely got anyone to talk to you. Also after about 8pm many wouldn't open their doors. So we did 6pm to 7pm, then they would be having dinner and couldn't talk. Sometimes the "not at homes" were so many that it was easier to just work that territory map again. Probably in all that time we had 3 who became JW's and one of them left a couple of years later.

We moved to a more central part of town, probably just as many homes, but more closer together. It was exactly the same story. I've worked whole roads and got about 5/6 people in. Also another problem that started to occur was that many of the blocks of flats would now be fitted with security systems. Before you could just walk in and knock on the flats door. Now the entrance had a security door, you had to ring a flats bell, ask through the intercom for them to open door. They would ask why, if you said you were a JW, often they said no. If you didn't give a straight answer they often said no. Sometimes brothers would be approached by the police because people were suspicous of them trying to get in.

We also tried informal (street) witnessing. Brothers would say they stopped 20 people in half an hour and only two would have stopped to talk. Others you would give a tract to, then you would see it screwed up on the pavement later.

In all the 30 years as a JW the congregation I was in never really grew. In 1971 they had 86 publishers, 2 pioneers. In 2003 they have 84 publishers and 2 pioneers. In that time maybe 10-12 moved away, about 6-8 died. In the last 5 years 7 have DA'd, 4 DF'd. This is not just confined to this congregation, others also in the area are also going through the same thing. Some haven't had a person baptised for 2/3 years. Those that are being baptised are usually from JW families. Baptisms at Circuit Assemblies used to be in double figures, now you'd be lucky to reach 8/9.

.It has not been helped by changes in long held doctrine, the UN fiasco, Rand Cam, child abuse programs and articles. People now see the JW's as no better or different than any other religion.

The great increases of years ago have gone. Here in Britain I think they still hover around the 120,000 mark. Yet I remember it being 126,000, with a peak one year of 132,000.

The person that was called on years ago has gone, very little information was to be found on the WT then. when a JW makes a return visit now he is likely to have found the person has checked up on the Watchtower on the Internet.

• KGB
    KGB

I have had many people tell me they take the mags and books but never read them. They toss it in the trash once they close their doors just to be kind. Some people cannot handle confrontation to well so find it easier to do it this way. I don`t usually get another knock at my door when they come and I ask them to describe a false prophet. I usually dont even get an answer to that because they know that when they get asked they cannot answer because if they do they describe themselves...

• freedom96
    freedom96

Sword-

I would love to meet you at a car wash. We could have quite the interesting conversation. We would see how well you could handle a speech and debate in person.

• logansrun
    logansrun

I hate to be such a smarmy bastard on this topic, but...

JH -- Did you honestly think that no one on the entire planet was accepting anything by the JWs? I mean, so you saw ONE GUY accept a magazine -- NEWS FLASH...."Someone in Canada reportedly was seen accepting a magazine by two Jehovah's Witnesses....repeat....magazine accepted by man...preaching work is still going on..."

hehe,

Bradley

• JH
    JH

Logansrun,

This topic may seem idiot to you, but interesting posts came out of it and that's all that counts. I often start such topics that seem stupid, but it gets the ball rolling and people add thier 2 cents worth. I and others were surprised that not too many make return visits. Many accept magazines and just dump them in the garbage can.

Myself, I never did like making RV's because I knew deep down inside that the person accepted the magazines to get rid of me.

• rocketman
    rocketman

This has turned into a very good thread. To read observations by others shows that what I've observed isn't just restricted to my locale.

We are observing the same things - hours and hours spent by jws trying to find someone who will even entertain the possibilty of a bible study. Sure, they can still find some folks to talk to (like SOJ does at the car wash) and place literature with (like JH observed), but getting it to go any further than that becomes nearly impossible.

Mary put it very well - how many people would want to give up friends, possibly family, attend 5 meetings per week, knock on doors themselves, and do all the other stuff that is required (and yes, it's required) of jws? In fact, if they told people up front what was involved in their religion, hardly anyone would ever convert. They know that, and that's why they are not really up front ('oh, we're not here to convert you' 'yes, we're just sharing a thought from the bible' 'we're just asking our neighbors a question') with householders.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit