Witnesses still having some success at doors

by JH 24 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Riding around the city this morning I saw 2 witnesses from my congregation talking to a man at his door, and they seemed to have placed a book or magazine. Although they did not enter his house, they stead there at his door a couple of minutes. Although most do not answer or accept anything from witnesses, he seemed to be an exception. I find it sad that this man doesn't know what he is getting into...

Some people are in trouble over their heads, and when they hear the good news of the kingdom, I guess that they can only dream of a better world.

Hope he's patient...

• rocketman
    rocketman

Well, let's see if:

........ The guy is ever home again when they try to call back. I can't begin to count the number of placements I madeover the years only to find the person not at home ever again.

........The guy is really interested or is just trying to be nice. Most of the time, people take the literature just to be nice.

• blondie
    blondie

Plus, based on my observations of JWs over the years, there is only about a 3 percent chance that the JW will actually try to make the return visit.

Didn't write down placement

Can't read what they wrote down

They wrote down the wrong number

They lose the slip

Blondie

• JH
    JH
    3 percent chance to make a return visit

Really? 3% They have a problem if that's the case.

That amazes me. This brother will return. I'm sure. What I'm not sure of is if he will answer the door again like said Rocketman.

• blondie
    blondie

JH, it is appalling according to the last CO how few JWs call back on placements. He checked the number of placements per month against RVs made. He said "it was not a pretty sight."

Besides that, the RVs that are made by JWs are by a select few in the congregation. I have even seen sisters give their RV possibilities to others to make.

It is more likely that the man just won't be home. Many JWs give up after 3 tries.

Blondie

• Mary
    Mary

Even if all JWs faithfully made Return Visits, it stil probably wouldn't boost the numbers............most people, even if they like what they hear, are not willing to give up family, friends, education, worldly anything and start going to church for 5 freaking meetings every week. And virtually no one is willing to go start banging on their neighbours doors, bugging them to convert.

When you compare the billions of hours that Witnesses spend each year in Service, and then look at the pitiful increases (and 99% of that is simply children who were born into "the truth" who have become of age, gotten married, baptized and are having children of their own), then I think it's fairly safe to say that the Witnesses are having very little success at the doors.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    only about a 3 percent chance that the JW will actually try to make the return visit.

In my case it was about 1% chance. I just hated RVs. But it's ok! God will ensure sheeplike ones will learn the truth!

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    start going to church for 5 freaking meetings every week.

When my JW friend and I started dicussing our different religous views (it was very one-sided, they only wanted to talk about theirs) I noted that they were always talking about their Tues/Thurs. mtgs. I lightly said something like "I don't think I could ever be a JW because it would take up too much time during the week" ... they said "oh, you only go to those meetings if you "feel" like you should". I noticed they went EVERY time, even when sick. Now, I have learned from this board that it is indeed mandatory, or you are thought to be a slacker . Now when I think back on our conversations, everything was 'skewd'... why can't they at least be open?

• Joker10
    Joker10

%3? I don't think so. Nearby congregations revisit people all the time here. I also don't believe that 99% who get baptized are children. Last year the baptism fugire was more than 4% of the punlisher statistic.

• blondie
    blondie

Joker10, let me amend that to people who make return visits that actually find someone home.

When you compare the billions of hours that Witnesses spend each year in Service, and then look at the pitiful increases

Good point, Mary. In 1972, JWs spent 1,789 hours to make one convert; 2,778 hours in 1982; 3,405 hours in 1992; and 4,529 hours in 2002.

At the last circuit assembly, 10 were baptized, 9 were under 18 years old (one was 10) and were raised "in the truth." I learned that it was much the same at the DC this weekend.

The PO in my old congregation said that in 10 years only one person had been baptized that wasn't "raised in the truth." It was a special needs talk to "encourage" the publishers to make effective return visits and be willing to sacrifice personal time to conduct bible studies. He sees the handwriting on the wall.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit