What do people expect god to do?

by punkofnice 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I was watching the news about the French terrorist attacks. Not getting into that but I notice the media is churning it over a bit, now. Moving switly on; there were prayers for peace reported.

Question: What do those praying for peace think that god will actually do about their prayers?

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

I think by praying and the minute of silence at 12.00 h today we can take part in the immeasureable sorrow. We show respect and compassion and it helps us in the process of overcoming it.

As everybody has different personal notions about God, for those who believe in aGod the hope in this God or religion overlaps with the common awareness of compassion and rightousness and the notion that every human sole has a high value and a Wonder, what unifies us as mankind compared with the basic human hope that the good will lately convince the evil.

• cofty
  • Zoos
    Zoos
    What do people expect God to do?

Kiss it and make it feel better.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

The recent events in Paris were terrible. If religious people want to pray for the victims and their families - fine.

But, more importantly, decisive human response is required. Stepping up the frequency of drone attacks against jihadis would be a good start. Photographs showing where Jihadi John was erased also showed a building labeled ISIS HQ. If this is correct, why the hell is that building still standing? It obviously should be bombed, along with other known ISIS buildings. ISIS terror training camps in Libya should also be bombed.

You get my drift ...

• TheWonderofYou
  • Bonsai
    Bonsai

Dear God,

You are so expert at doing nothing that we think you should continue your role in the universe. In fact,we'd like you to stay the hell out of human affairs. We'd also like you to take yourself and all your hordes of religious zealots- who do terrible things in your name(s)-and move to another dimension.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Sorry, Punk, I didn't want to go off-topic but I just had to vent in my previous post.

So, back on-topic:

What do people expect god to do? - of course, God will do nothing. And I don't think religious people would expect a miracle.

But, if religious people lost loved ones in the Paris massacre, and if they want to take comfort in their beliefs, that should be absolutely fine in a liberal, Western society.

• GoneAwol
    GoneAwol

he / she / it did nothing to stop those attacks happening.

Why on earth do some people think praying is going to help?

Its like an abused child asking the abusive parent for help.....

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Well materialisation hasn't united people, and neither has philosophy, and whilst I no longer pray, for some I understand and respect the need to get away from the intellectual.So I won't oversimplify prayer, because I do see how it can be a symbol of comfort, and I can see how some people need that bread and milk. And for many who lost loved ones, that feeling of strength.

The Rebel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit