"We don't venerate idols or images!"

by stuckinarut2 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

How often did we as witnesses say something like this : "unlike members of False religion, who venerate or worship through statues or idols, we give our focus to Jehovah!"

But really, is it any different?

Members of religious groups focus their religious adoration via an image or statue. They do this in order to provide some sort of focus to their need to worship.

Witnesses give extreme focus on the name "Jehovah" . They make this the focus of worship, attention and adoration.

But the name Jehovah is simply an amalgam of letters formed by a Middle Ages monk. The exact pronunciation of YHWH is not known. The name is not even accurate.

And yet witnesses say that isn't important - the main thing is it gives focus on god.

So, what is the difference?

None that I can see

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

Well, that's no good because a name is not tangible. Quick - give me all your jewelry! We'll melt it down and mass produce some blue and GOLD CALF rings.

There. That's better. We need a name we can SEE.

• Ray Frankz
    Ray Frankz

It's simple. Ask them if they can imagine worshipping God without the Org, the publications or the Kingdom Hall. Then tell them that's the same feeling the Catholics have for their little statues.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

They worship the Governing Body no denying that !

• venus
    venus

Attacking worship through images makes no sense because keeping a photo of one's physical father is a sign of love toward him, and it serves as a reminder to all his father stands for.

Use of symbols are everywhere--even the wine and bread JWs pass in their memorial service is a symbol that is used as part of their worship.

If God is true, whatever helps me to keep myself attached to Him or whatever helps me to remember Him is also true. Some people say they remember God as the great Illuminator (giver of enlightenment) and elevator (giver of empowerment) when they see sun (compare Psalm 84:11).

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great comments !

Ray, you are spot on, and Venus, that is exactly right! Keeping a photo of someone is a sign of respect..

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

In the 90s I put a cut out of a Watchtower in my car window and was told to remove it as it was idolatry. Clearly the definition of idolatry changed some time between then and now.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@Amelia Ashton A car pulled up at a McDonald's parking lot with an A4 print out of the JW.org logo pasted to one of the back windows. I nearly hurled my takeaway coffee at the car. Knee-jerk reaction. It took me a while to come around and realize that it would have been a really terrible and damaging act...

to the environment.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

"No, we dont have idols or symbols!"

Where have i seen this before???

• zeb
    zeb

this 'org' thing makes my flesh crawl. By wearing that symbol you are saying you agree fully with all they decree.

and to put that on a wedding cake.!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit