Zealous preaching

by punkofnice 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I've been away from all things Jobo for years. I have little interest in them...perhaps some slight interest due to being raised in the corporation.

In my day, the preaching work was hammered into us relentlessly. We felt obligated to go door knocking as much as possible. 90 hours pioneering.

I'll regret asking this......but.....

What is the current view of the 'preaching work(tm)', by the Jobos?

They seem to lob about with their trolleys, disinterested in being zealous any more.

What's the deal these days?

• blondie
    blondie

Was that more pre-1975? I find that without a date many jws since then have had less and less a sense of urgency.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

They can only cry wolf so many times and then the urgency / interest wanes .

If you or I saw a tall story apartment building on fire would we just go dawdling along D2D in that building commenting on how nice it was that they have a couple of kids ,how well they look after the place ,and that we can see our loved ones once again who have died ,and that their is a hope for the future that no man can give us ?

Only Jehovah God can by means of Christ Jesus ?

OH and by the way this building is on fire .

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

I can honestly say that during my "baptised career" as a JW, I only ever met one JW (male) who loved the field service - and still does. If the org announced an end of it, most JW's would heave a huge sigh of relief.

The trolley witnessing is the next best thing for them. It's all about the hours - not preaching.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    blondie - Was that more pre-1975?

There was that. However, when I was an Elder and up to 2010 when I left, there was always a push to 'do more(tm)' door knocking.

I always hated D2D. I just pretended to like it when I was a corporation slave.

Smiddy - They certainly ran out of wolves to cry.

TFG - Trolley work seems to be the lazy option. They know they don't have to do anything but play candy crush on their phones.

• sir82
    sir82

I think there have always been JWs who took the preaching work as deadly serious, and there have always been JWs who only went through the motions, realizing that the preaching work is mostly about appearances and is the gateway to being accepted and/or having more "privileges" / prestige in the organization.

But, I strongly suspect that the ratio of ["take it deadly seriously" JWs / all JWs] has been dropping steadily for the past 20+ years and continues to plummet.

It is inevitable that, as the preaching work becomes ever less effective, the number of JWs will decline. The million dollar question is how fast, and what happens when they reach the inflection point of unsustainability.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    sir82 - the preaching work becomes ever less effective

I remember an Elder saying that the ones that come to the meetings are rarely from the D2D work. If it gets less effective...there won't be anyone left.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

In our (former) Congo, everyone is exciting about the coming International Convention. Everyone is "busy" making "doodad" gifts for the international delegates expected to attend here. Bookmarks. JW(borg)pins etc. NO ONE GIVES A RAT'S ASS ABOUT SAVING LIVES EVEN WITH "THE BIG A"(™) SO IMMINENT - VERY CLOSE - VERY, VERY, CLOSE!

It's so obvious that they do not really believe The End(™) us really coming soon. No one wants to go in Field Circus. They are just going through the motions when they do go -- "counting time" versus making time count. But the live in their delusional little world where they are "special" and God has "chosen" them for survival even though they are not doing the "life-saving" work that merits their salvation.

Let's review: "It's a Cult!"

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    DOC - Let's review: "It's a Cult!"

It is that thing!

I have rarely seen Jobos door knocking of late.

• Ding
    Ding

I've heard some talk that the WT may discontinue the door to door preaching.

I find that hard to believe because it's one of their key "proofs" that they have the truth.

Then again, they certainly aren't out with anywhere near the frequency they used to be.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit