Why the US is great despite Bush!

by Realist 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Realist
    Realist

All the heated debates about Iraq have caused many Americans here to think that several of us anti Bush guys hate America and hate Americans.

This is NOT the case! ! !

I want to state emphatically that the US is a great country with great people! I have lived in NY for 3 years and had a fantastic time there.

Among many other things I especially love the unbreakable optimism of you guys, your coolness and your interest to discover new things.

If anyone wants to add something positive about the US feel free to join in!!!

Peace to all!

Realist

• Xena
    Xena

Realist...and you know we love ya dispite possible differences in politics

• Realist
    Realist

hello Xena!!!

thank you!!!

i am glad you had a great time in britain!!!

talk to you soon!

• Simon
    Simon

I agree realist.

I like America and I like Americans. They are very different things though and I don't think Americans should be judged on everything that their administration does at home or abroad.

I would not expect people to judge me as a person on what Britain does or does not do and I would not personally want to tie in my own identity and 'status' with that of my government.

This is probably where a lot of misunderstandings arise as we are often more than happy to have our government criticised (a national past-time) whereas the American culture is more to get behind the president and identify more strongly with your country hence the greater sensitivity to criticism of it. I think it's a good thing (ie. loyalty, patriotism) but can also sometimes be a bad thing if it becomes dogmatic and 'no matter what'.

Personally, I have liked all the Americans I've met and they have always been friendly and reasonable people. They have a lot of qualities that we could learn from such as the positive, "make it happen" attitude.

I particularly like Xena as she brought me candy ... "Proud to be American" candy no less !

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Realist and Simon, thank you for pointing out the differences between the people and the system.

I am aware, like most Americans, of all the short falls of the country and the government.

If either of you ever visits Ohio, I'd be happy to introduce you to our very own Castle.... White Castle....hamburger of champions. Headquartered in Columbus, Ohio. (Home of Wendy's BTW) I don't think McDonalds has anything to worry about! You won't forget you ate it....for days!!

• Simon
    Simon

thanks teenyuck

Here are some castles that we visit in Wales - Dylan especially loves going to them

BTW: Just testing the attachment thing - click the picture to view a larger version (although I've used a smallish size) or the download icon to save a copy.

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp
    I particularly like Xena as she brought me candy ... "Proud to be American" candy no less !

I brought candy too......and what about the shells??? ...are they just chopped blood pudding!?

*sniff sniff*

*goes off to cry that noone liked her candy*

PS---Xena-- I didn't get any candy or was that only for the men

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Now those are some castles!!!

White Castle hamburgers are fondly known as *sliders*. You eat them and 4 hours later they *slide* out. Either hole. They taste great until you start feeling queasy a few hours later (and you will).

In college they were open 24 hours so after a night of drinking you could go eat something to sop up the beer. Then you were ill and could not figure out if it was the beer or the burgers. Either way, you don't soon forget the experience.

• Simon
    Simon

Please ... I thought I'd got away with the candy / shell thing !

I thought they looked like candy ... I wasn't expecting someone to hand me a shell while we were eating so I thought it was some wierd American sweet. Good job you stopped me before I bit it

Thank you for the shells ... we have them sat on our shelf (with Angharad's rocks and minerals)

• Hamas
    Hamas

One thing about the Yanks, they love to eat well

Maple Syrup pancakes in the morning mmmm.....

and those wonderful steak houses !!!! Great stuff !

And of course, their legal system seems to work a lot better. Don't suppose you will get anything as crazy as the Tony Martin case over there !

( For those that don't know who Tony Martin is : He was convicted of defending his property with a shotgun as theives tried to rob his house. He killed one and hurt the other, and is currently behind bars. The guy that lived today was successful in getting permission to SUE Tony Martin for damages. What a sad, lame indication of the British legal system )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit