My report from the "trying my patience" DC

by nowwhat? 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Interesting line of thought, Rat.

The WTS insists that it has God’s exclusive favour.

Okay.

What did God do when his favoured nation Israel got out of line and wouldn’t straighten up?

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

What did God do when his favoured nation Israel got out of line and wouldn’t straighten up?

He got other people to run the show. So, suppose individuals were doing things wrong inside his org, God should see to it that they are removed.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Fisherman

Or it ain't his organization so he doesn't act

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Or it ain't his organization so he doesn't act

That is a personal conclusion. Like when Jesus asked his disciple who they thought he was. Till this day Jews don’t believe he is the son of God. Also, Jesus didn’t go around telling people who he was but allowed people to believe whatever they like.

But as you said, of JW is God’s agency, God must act.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Possibilities:

a) They were His organization, but they’ve strayed so far, so egregiously, that (like He did with Israel) he used the “nations” (i.e. “Satan’s World”) to smack ‘em. Hard.

b) They falsely claimed the mantle of His organization, so He simply sits back and lets them inevitably (and deservedly) hang themselves with their own hubris-noose.

c) He doesn’t actually exist, and eventually the rest of the civilized world gets tired of their bullshit and shuts ‘em down.

These three options are the most likely, but - more importantly - all end the same way… because from what I can see, they are way past the point of positive reform (voluntarily or otherwise)…

…since - at their core - they simply refuse to acknowledge even to themselves that they are, quite simply, wrong.

• Journeyman
    Journeyman

Good summary, Vidiot - and I've always thought that it's interesting the leadership of the org lack any self-reflection and humility to ever consider a) as a possibility, or even a potential risk.

As supposed Bible Students from way back, it should be clear to anyone that even if you believe in God, and if you believe he is using a particular organisation and if you believe that org is the one you are in/leading, the scriptures repeatedly warn against hubris and arrogance and show the downfall of key individuals in "God's organisation" who get too big for their boots or decide to do things their own way against all good sense and attempts to correct them:

• Satan (and the other rebel angels)
    • Adam & Eve
    • Cain
    • Eli & his sons
    • Saul
    • Possibly Solomon?
    • Most of the Kings of Judah and Israel
    • Most of the scribes, Sadducees and Pharisees
    • Judas
    • 'Anointed' Christians such as Ananias & Sapphira, Hymenaeus, Alexander and Philetus.

That's just some specific ones I can think of right now. All of the above were on the 'inside' of God's arrangement at the time and initially had his 'favour', yet chose to do their own thing and went beyond recovery.

Many of Jesus' own parables warned against the same thing happening among his followers, including the warning about the risk of becoming an 'evil slave', which the GB dismisses while presumptuously claiming the mantle of the 'faithful slave' to themselves without hesitation or question.

To think no such thing could happen in the 19th, 20th or 21st centuries after all of history from creation to the end of the first century, and despite believing that 1) man is still imperfect and 2) the Devil is still "walking about like a roaring lion" seeking to mislead humans, is naive at best, and self-serving and arrogant at worst.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    Possibilities

If inconsequential, who cares. If it is going to hurt somehow,it is important to know.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

To paraphrase Jesus's question in Luke 15, who acted more like a neighbour: The Watchtower Society, which didn't lift a finger to help, or the UN?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit