Any William Miller Scholars out there?

by neverendingjourney 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

For those who may not be aware, the 1914 date was arrived at by Russell by using the same framework of the failed prophetic interpretations of the Adventist preacher William Miller.

See this chart:

If you look at the top right of the chart, he uses the same 7-times reasoning to arrive at the 2,520 years (7 times=7 multiplied by 360-day years=2,520 years). Except he begins counting the beginning of the gentile times in 677 B.C. when Israel was supposedly carried captive. Since he began counting in 677 B.C. and not 607 B.C. as Russell did, Miller arrived at 1843, not 1914.

It's noteworthy that Miller and Russell made the same mistake: not realizing there was no 0 year. Miller fixed this by moving the end date from 1843 to 1844. Russell did the opposite. He moved the start date from 606 B.C. to 607 B.C.

Seeing as how this is the same reasoning, does anyone know why Miller chose 677 B.C. as the start date? Obviously, it was because it would have come during his lifetime and people seem to have a built in bias to believe their era is a particularly meaningful one, but what might have been his scriptural reasoning?

Link to full-size chart: http://www.bible.ca/pre-miller-1843-ellen-white.gif

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent
    Millerism informed generations of American Christians. The line of thought definitely influenced Charlie R.
  • sir82
    sir82

I love stuff like this.

I guess it appeals to me because it is internally coherent.

It's all a fantasy based on wisps of puffy crap, but it makes sense, in an odd way.

Unlike current JW teaching, which is a series of kluges on top of kluges, trying desperately to patch together snippets of 100 year old doctrine to remnants of 80 year old doctrine to swatches of 50 year old doctrine to 21st century reality.....

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

I've come to the conclusion that early Bible Students should be classified as a Millerite offshoot.

Wikipedia seems to agree with me:

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventism

Rutherford really left a mark on the religion and steered it away in many ways from its Adventist roots, but it's still palpable.

Fascinating video on the topic if you have an hour and fifteen minutes to spare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_c-PdT0SsE

• Mephis
    Mephis

Miller dated the invasion of Israel and capture of Manasseh to 677 bc.. That was when he reckoned Israel no longer was a nation. So that was why he started from there.

edit: incidentally, even at the time he was being criticised for trying to work the date backwards to Manasseh.

eg Dowling's Reply to Miller: https://archive.org/details/expositionofprop00dowl

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    I guess it appeals to me because it is internally coherent.

The last vestiges of internal coherence went away after the 95 generation change.

When I was a child there were a lot of smart but uneducated elders who felt like they were doing legitimate Bible scholarship researching in their WT publications.

Now it's laughable. Geriatric bureaucrats standing in front of an overlapping-generation chart daring members to say "the emperor has no clothes."

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

This book argues that the early Bible Students were not an offshoot of Adventism by any means.

http://www.amazon.com/Separate-Identity-Organizational-Readers-1870-1887/dp/1304969401/

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    Miller dated the invasion of Israel and capture of Manasseh to 677 bc.. That was when he reckoned Israel no longer was a nation. So that was why he started from there.

That's interesting.

It goes to show how subjective prophecy interpretation can be. Did the gentile times begin when the king of the northern kingdom of Israel was taken captive or when the temple in Jerusalem was destroyed? How could someone possibly come up with a definitive answer to such a subjective question?

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    This book argues that the early Bible Students were not an offshoot of Adventism by any means.

Have you read it? If so, is it worth a read?

It'd be interesting to read a different take. Obviously, CTR had many other influence. Pyramidology comes to mind, but from what I've seen Adventist thinking was the primary influence.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent
    neverendingjourney: Rutherford really left a mark on the religion.

Rutherford had connections with the family behind Coca Cola. I suggest that when he saw what advertising could do for a soft drink, he incorporated American advertising techniques into his 'revised' WT religion - hence his slogan. ( I think it was the 1938 Assembly).

" Advertise, Advertise, Advertise, The King and His Kingdom."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit