Jesus 2nd Coming

by punkofnice 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

full disclosure, I am an atheist/slight agnostic and really don't believe in God/s.

However, I do find solace in a good Evensong at the Cathedral. Because one of my kids came with me, it has inspired him to become a Christian and hence got baptised in a UK High Church (Anglican cum Catholic Hybrid).

So, I take him to visit different places EG, Ely Cathedral. He likes me to accompany him to his new church. Because I don't mind a service, a cup of char and a natter after, I go with him on occasion. I'm still atheist/agnostic.

We got to discuss the 2nd coming and tried to give a typical church view to see if he agreed.

Long story short, I don't think there will be one but I am genuinely interested in what my believing friends on here think it will be and what it'll look like - and why.

This isn't a trap. I'm not here to argue, just present different views or the one view to him to see what he thinks and how it squares with High Church.

PM me if you don't want to get into it here.

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

What we think the 2nd coming will be like?

Every eye will see it.

The dead and the people still alive, will meet him in the air and we will always be with him (maybe only believers in Christ and sealed with the holy spirit)

Eventually there will be a feast. We'll all sing songs.

There's something about ruling with Christ, (but we'd have to speculate pretty hard to know what that means)

No more tears, no more suffering, no more death.

Those are what the Bible tells us, so I believe that, though I'm not sure what it's going to *actually * be since a lot of people had the wrong idea of the messiah even though they had the scriptures/prophecies.

Once when I got pregnant, I thought that it was going to be the craziest thing for my belly to swell and a person grow inside of me! But it actually felt very normal.

I think that's how the 2nd coming will be. Sounds crazy, but it will feel very normal and I think heaven will feel just like home and all of this will be like waking up and barely able to remember that dream.

I'm not sure if that's what you were asking?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Thanks I80. This the sort of thing I am looking for. I am interested in views of this. I can give my lad different things that are thought.

Thanks Unky Punky

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Hi Punky.

I too love Ely Cathedral & I've left many a candle there for people. I especially love the Lady chapel. I enjoy listening to Kings Choir when I can make it. I also attend for the Tribe :) & love anything to do with Jesus - I don't pretend to understand all that revelation end of days stuff, but it makes for a good yarn☺️

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Dodgy Knees - I attended a mini service there. I'm not familiar with the Tribe.

I will go back there some time because the parking is free in Ely.

• jhine
    jhine

I think that's great news , but then l would . May l ask if your son was ever part of the Org and exposed to JW teaching ? He must find the Anglican, even high Anglican, church very different.

My Bible study group has recently finished studying Revelation. If l said that any of us understood it l would be lying .

We sought out the thoughts of various commentators and each one had a different observations. Basically they didn't KNOW either.

So l would go along with Iriddle80. Maybe add that prior to the nice stuff something like a nuclear war might be being described . That is pure conjecture but a possibility l think .

Jan

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

There's a lot of violence, drugs and other crap going on in the world, but your son's decided to become a Christian. Not bad at all. He could do a lot worse.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

The below information is the predominate timeline agreed to by most evangelicals. It is copied from gotguestions.org. About 2 years ago, I conducted a study of Revelation using material from a number of highly regarded sources with wide authority and it is identical. This is literal, premillinnial format. There are basically three different views of Revelation. All cannot be true. The literal, premillinnial is the predominate view in non-Catholic (and high-church) Christianity and was the most widely held position of the early church fathers prior to Augustine.

I still have the study workbook (Compiled by an accounting Phd. professor friend of mine) complete with charts and references. He has taught the course several times. He and I spent a year tweaking it and making it more understandable for someone with a JW background. If anyone is interested, message me and I will email to you.

Chapters 1-3 bring us up to the present time. The church is not seen in Revelation after chapter 3.

Revelation Timeline (starting with Ch. 4):

1. The rapture of the church. Christ comes in the clouds to “snatch away” all those who trust in Him (1 Corinthians 15:52). At this same time, the “dead in Christ” will be resurrected and taken to heaven, too. From our perspective today, this is the next event in the eschatological timeline. The rapture is imminent; no other biblical prophecy needs to be fulfilled before the rapture happens.

2. The rise of the Antichrist. After the church is taken out of the way (2 Thessalonians 2:7–8), a satanically empowered man will gain worldwide control with promises of peace (Revelation 13:1; Daniel 9:27). He will be aided by another man, called the false prophet, who heads up a religious system that requires worship of the Antichrist (Revelation 19:20).

3. The tribulation. A period of seven years in which God’s judgment is poured out on sinful humanity (Revelation 6–16). The Antichrist’s rise to power is associated with this time period. During the tribulation on earth, the Church will be in heaven. It is thought that at this time the Judgment Seat of Christ and the Marriage Supper of the Lamb will occur in heaven (2 Corinthians 5:10; Revelation 19:6–10).

4. The Battle of Gog and Magog. In the first part of the tribulation, a great army from the north, in alliance with several other countries from the Middle East and Africa, attacks Israel and is defeated by God’s supernatural intervention (Ezekiel 38–39). (Some commentators place this battle just before the start of the tribulation.)

5. The abomination of desolation. At the midway point of the seven-year tribulation, the Antichrist breaks his covenant with Israel and shows his true colors. The Jews are scattered, and many of them turn to the Lord, realizing that Jesus is their Savior. A great persecution breaks out against all those who believe in Christ (Daniel 12:11; Mark 13:14; Revelation 12:17).

6. The Battle of Armageddon. At the end of the tribulation, Jesus returns with the armies of heaven (Mark 14:62). He saves Jerusalem from annihilation and defeats the armies of the nations fighting under the banner of the Antichrist (Revelation 19:11–21). The Antichrist and the false prophet are captured and thrown alive into the lake of fire (Revelation 19:20).

7. The judgment of the nations. Christ will judge the survivors of the tribulation, separating the righteous from the wicked as “sheep” and “goats” (Matthew 25:31–46). (It is thought that at this time the Old Testament saints will be raised from the dead.) The righteous will enter the Millennial Kingdom; the wicked will be cast into hell.

8. The binding of Satan. Satan will be bound and held in a bottomless pit for the next 1,000 years (Revelation 20:1–3).

9. The Millennial Kingdom. Jesus Himself will rule the world, and Jerusalem will be the capital. This will be a 1,000-year period of peace and prosperity on earth (Revelation 20; Isaiah 60–62). Memorial sacrifices will be offered in a rebuilt temple in Jerusalem (Ezekiel 40–48).

10. The last battle. At the end of the 1,000 years, Satan will be released from his prison for a short time. He will deceive the nations once again, and there will be a rebellion against the Lord that will be quickly defeated (Revelation 20:7–10). Satan will be cast into the lake of fire, never to reappear.

11. The Great White Throne Judgment. All those in hell will be brought forth (resurrected in their own bodies), and all the wicked from all eras of history will be resurrected to stand before God in a final judgment (Revelation 20:11–15). Unlike those "in Christ", they are then judged by their own works. Verdicts are read, and all of sinful humanity is cast into the lake of fire.

12. The new creation. God completely remakes the heavens and the earth. We will see it happen. It is at this time that God wipes away all tears and there will be no more pain, death, or sorrow. The New Jerusalem descends from heaven, and the children of God will enjoy eternity with Him (Revelation 21–22).

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Jan - May l ask if your son was ever part of the Org and exposed to JW teaching ?

You may.

Sadly, I brought him up in the filthy, disgusting cult. Yes. He finds fellowship with St Paul's High Church actually quite genuine unlike the Corporation(tm) fake love. They all like me too, even though they know I'm mainly atheist/ slightly agnostic. I've had some interesting conversations with Rev Ron and his Missus.....I was very polite when expressing my views. They all seem to think the Corporation(tm) has ruined my mind.................it has.

Thanks Breezy, I will convey the same. He will be most interested.

LUHE - He's gone from a 'G-man' who was constantly arrested,

to a clean living geezer. On one of his encounters with the rozzers, one said to him, 'What does your Dad think of all this?' How the rozzer knew about me baffles me still.

Thanks SBreeze, I shall convey this to him. He will appreciate it.

• jhine
    jhine

Punky , what a change , fantastic. Just let me have a Praise the Lord moment . Thanks .

It's nice that you and your son find the love and acceptance genuine. I'm sure that you will be able to express your thoughts honestly, without judgement because Rev Ron and missus Ron will have heard it all before .

Sea Breeze isn't that basically what l said ? 😂.

Yes l would agree that wot you wrote is pretty much the broad timeline agreed upon. However when it comes to details, like who the Antichrist might be , what much of the imagery represents , what form the mark of the beast may take then people can only speculate .

Jan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit