Anyone else get a message from Hanged Man?

by pale.emperor 37 Replies latest jw experiences

• waton
    waton
    DAFUQ did I do?

what is DAFUQ ?

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    waton3 hours ago
    DAFUQ did I do?

what is DAFUQ ?

what the f*ck.

• Fred Franztone
    Fred Franztone
    Fred you are guessing about some of these matters, Jesus could not have been born in Nazareth since it only began as a place about a century after he died. The Bible makes a linguistic conflation of the word nazarite (Jewish mad monk syndrome) and Nazareth (place founded after Jesus died).

Just because it wasn't called Nazareth at the time, it doesn't mean he didn't live in the settlement that would later be called Nazareth; the area has been inhabited for thousands of years. Where he was from is irrelevant however, the point is that there was probably someone with a name similar to Jesus living in the ancient middle east whose life the stories are based on, but without any of the supernatural stuff.

For what it's worth:
    Luke 22:50-51 New International Version (NIV)
    50 And one of them struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his right ear.
    51 But Jesus answered, “No more of this!” And he touched the man’s ear and healed him.

That's what I was referring to.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Fred the surprising thing is that there was not even a settlement at the place that was later called Nazareth. Obviously it did exist at the time when the manuscripts of the Bible texts were last edited.

The archaeology of the area shows that there had been a cemetery there, not a good choice for habitation --although at some time before the first century there had been one farmhouse nearby but that is all. Josephus, that scrupulous recorder of everything Jewish, lived within a half hour's walk of the place not long after the supposed time of Jesus' residence but he never mentions it (neither does he mention Jesus) and nor do any contemporary Roman maps show a village called Nazareth. Since Judea was under Roman rule they would have needed to mark and assess the taxable value of every village if not every house.

• Fred Franztone
    Fred Franztone

I should point out that my vested interest in this is minimal. I'm not a christian, I don't believe in god, and I think the bible is 99% made up. I don't buy the astrological interpretation because it invokes too much planning and attention to detail in a book that was very evidently an ad hoc cobbled-together anthology of mostly unrelated fantasies.

Whether Jesus existed or not is of little consequence to me ultimately, though I suspect there was someone whom he was loosely based upon, simply because it would have made no sense to invent the fictional and completely unrealistic Bethlehem census story when it would have been far easier narratively to have his parents live there from the get-go, unless there was already a guy who was known (or at least strongly believed) to have lived somewhere else. Whether that place was Nazareth or the general Galilee area is of little consequence really. For whatever reason, the writers clearly believed that Jesus had lived somewhere other than Bethlehem and went to great pains to have him be born there so as to fulfil OT prophecy.

Whether or not the character was based on a person or not however, the astrological connection is fanciful pattern-seeking that borders on sophistry. The writers of the bible were just not clever enough for that, and biblical allegories tended to be either vague or otherwise based on more fantastical numerology such as the coded language of the apocalyptic texts, rather than the stars.

Also, what would be the point? Who would the astrological symbolism have been aimed at? Very few people would have been able to decode it, if they'd even known they had to in the first place, and what would they have gained anyway? Why cloak esoteric astrology with no real message in such vague imagery? It would just be pointless.

• Bad_Wolf
    Bad_Wolf

Zodiac has 12 signs.

12 tribes of Israel

Altar of 12 stone pillars representing 12 tribes israel.

Joseph and his brothers are 12.

Each leader gave an ox as a gift (Ox is also the face of a cherub, cross referencing the 4 faces of cherubs in Revelation in Ezekiel, 3 are identical, then one says ox and one says cherub, revealing face of the cherub)

Jesus had 12 disciples and gave them all a different name (each one is symbolic then of something)

In revelation the holy city has 12 gates, tree of life has 12 crops of fruit, one per month.

Babylon the great has 12 stars on her crown.

And yes the 'star' that the wisemen were following at Jesus birth. That I suspected to be related to astrology, the 'signs' they spoke of.

And I think some of the excluded books of the bible, such as secrets of enoch, and others found at dead sea scrolls adds more to it. I think it was the secrets of enoch detailing the sun/moon/and stars and their orbits, etc.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

But then we can find patterns in anything if we look for it.

I could probably find zodiac parallels in Lord Of The Rings but it still doesn't make it anymore true.

• Bad_Wolf
    Bad_Wolf
    But then we can find patterns in anything if we look for it.
    I could probably find zodiac parallels in Lord Of The Rings but it still doesn't make it anymore true.

Since you brought it up, LOTR is inspired by the bible. And there were 19 rings, 7 for men (the 7 headed wild beast in revelation), then 9 for elves + 3 for dwarves = 12 (the 12 tribes of israel) + 7 = 19

It has similar things with secrets of enoch. Earth is 'middle earth', etc. The elves are actually leaving to go to Eden. Sauron was Satan, he was originally a watcher of Earth who then wanted to become ruler.

• sir82
    sir82

12 donuts in a dozen.

12 words in the sentence "Given enough time you can find a pattern in just about anything".

12 hairs found within 12 millimeters of my 12th rib.

It's uncanny!

• waton
    waton
    Zodiac has 12 signs.

that the year has approximately 12 months (rotations of the moon) has given rise to all kinds of situations, including a special class of people administering the "heavens".

It gave the Jewish priests their 12 jewel breastplate, it gave us the 12" inch foot', The 60, 60+10=70 in French counting, competing with the decimal system, the number of our digits.

There is magic in math, a human creation.

Fred Franztone is right, do not self- indoctrinate yourself by adopting astrological reading, thinking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit