just GO

by teejay 10 Replies latest jw friends

• teejay
    teejay

This isn't meant for RR (hell, he's probably left
    the building anyway) but I've been wondering about
    something for a while and now's as good a time as any...

If people wish to quit visiting and or contributing
    to a discussion board, why don't they just quit? What's
    the point of making an announcement before leaving? What's
    the point in saying: "Oh this place used to be (yadda,
    yadda)" or "No one seems to (blahsay, blah)"?

Why not just pick up your pen and paper and GO?

The whole thing just gets curiouser and curiouser...

• patio34
    patio34

Maybe to get the last word? A parting shot?

Patio

• dark clouds
    dark clouds

TJ

I agree with you, some need the hoopla and some don't care either way,
    Some have a hard time moving forward, and constantly live wishing life was, or in this case the forum was, what it once was

Life changes and so does our perception,
    and for some reason memories seem to make most things better than what they actually were
    but that is my own view. . .

I agree with you
    let those that want to leave simply get up and go. . .

• think41self
    think41self

Teejay,

Know where you're coming from. That is how I personally would handle it. But I also understand some people feeling the need for closure, maybe? Just want to say how they feel before they leave? After all, for some, this board is just like a relationship, and leaving without saying goodbye may seem to them rather cold.

Just my 2.
    think41self

• crossroads
    crossroads

Thats exactly what I told Essie on her second final-
    final post- Will there be another,you know the 3rd
    time is a charm.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

While you say your comments are not directed RR, some members such as RR have been a member of this online community for longer than most here. His perspective has been a unique one, and I do believe that sometimes it is a courtesy to say a brief farewell.

To say nothing leaves those who remain wondering if that person is alright, and a brief farewell assures everyone they are fine and are simply moving on with life. It is also nice to say goodbye and wish someone well.

It is funny that you are puzzled as to why people do this. I am equally puzzled that some feel a need to start a whole thread and express something so trivial that really is an indirect negative remark on individuals choosing to exit in this manner.

Path

• bigboi
    bigboi

Hey tee-jay:

I agree with what you say. If you have probs with the board just leave. Stop posting, or just say your goodbyes and go. there is absolutely no reason to criticize ppl for getting into their own little squabbles. That's what ppl do. Hey i may even get into it with someone on the board in the future. I don't know. Nobody knows. To me it is absolutely childish and absurd to think that ppl will get along all the time and everything will always be all warm and fuzzy. Sadly some of us still suffer from WTS delusions.

Peace:

Bigboi.

"..... anyone who ignores everyday reality in order to live up to an ideal will soon discover he had been taught how to destroy himself, not how to preserve himself." The Prince. Niccolo Machiavelli.

• BugEye
    BugEye

Can give one a sense of victory to say "Its my bat and my ball and I'm
    going home now. So there!!!"

Its one of lifes "little" pleasures.

Also, in many instances even in small things, people require closure.
    This is not the case in New York where people dont even say goodbye
    when they hang up the phone, but it does apply to many others.

Which reminds me.

There was an Moscovite, a Sydneyite and a New Yorkian having dinner
    in a resturant.

The waiter approaches them and says "Excuse me, but in considering
    tonights menu, please be aware that we have a shortage of steak."

To which the Muskovite says "Whats a Steak?"

The Sydneyite says "Whats a shortage?"

and the New Yorkian responds "Whats 'Excuse me'?"

Dave

• CornerStone
    CornerStone

Hello TeeJay,

You said:

If people wish to quit visiting and or contributing
    to a discussion board, why don't they just quit? What's
    the point of making an announcement before leaving? What's
    the point in saying: "Oh this place used to be (yadda,
    yadda)" or "No one seems to (blahsay, blah)"?

By your statement, are you saying that you don't want to hear a persons announcement for leaving? Is it possible that this makes you uncomfortable in some way? I know that in the orgs collective, NO ONE wants to hear or CARES what you think or have to say. If you were in the org, is this a carry over from that line of thinking? Although I don't even know you, I know what you think and how you feel is JUST as important as how everyone else thinks and feels. It is just my opinion that the degree of "fellow feeling" that we would like shown to us is what we MUST show to all others. Otherwise we are just adding fuel to the fire when the org says that those who leave are angry, bitter, and "nashing" their teeth.
    As far as RR is concerned, him and I have similar views and I will miss his post. Mabey I will find him somewhere else. So, IMHO, let people say goodbye. How much can it realy hurt?

CornerStone

• TR
    TR

I was just wondering the same thing, Teejay. Some feel the need to have a send off, and see how many care, others don't care I guess. I'm the type to just fade away, if I feel like it's not the place for me. But people have my email, I have theirs.

This reminds me, I haven't heard from Simon in a blue moon. Yo Simon! He's probably sold the board for big bucks and moved into Buckingham Palace. Or, he's sitting back, laughing his arse off at our goofy antics.

TR

"cults suck"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit