Where to draw the line: how Platonism haunts our discourse and the search for exorcism

by slimboyfat 168 Replies latest jw friends

• coalize
    coalize
    "What about the word claim?"

It's yours...

• cofty
    cofty
    On what basis do you claim the perspective of the spaceman or physicist is superior to the worm?

A worm can only a little bit, An astronaut can see the big picture. Why do I need to explain that?

theologians and philosophers talk a lot about consciousness I assure you

I know. It's easier than getting a proper job - like doing science

Consciousness is more than just brain activity

No it isn't

• galaxie
    galaxie
    The human brain has the marvellous ability to convolute for convolutings sake. Its usually the sign of a perturbed unsettled personality. Let the reader discern.
  • coalize
    coalize
    In fact theologians and philosophers have been discussing consciousness long before scientific discourse even arose

Yes, you're right! And especially for theologians..

But on every subject, when scientific discourse arose, long-time theologians discourse felt...

Will be the same for consciousness

• cofty
    cofty
    Theology is our first attempt at making sense of the world. Science made it obsolete.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    What will make science obsolete?
  • coalize
    coalize
    What will make science obsolete?

Someone who will come with a methode more rigourous than the actual scientific method...

But ... oh...wait... It will still be a scientific method...

• cofty
    cofty

Science is a way of investigating reality. It is committed to methodological naturalism. It works.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Therefore scientists are the new high priests. There is no valid knowledge outside their orbit, for all eternity, for ever and ever, amen. Ironic much?
  • talesin
    talesin
    On what basis do you claim the perspective of the spaceman or physicist is superior to the worm?

I see the 'human superiority' stance as the greatest conceit, and trace it back to Genesis. Science has only recently (2014, I believe) officially declared that mammals, pets, have feelings and actually 'think'. Of course, that's had to admit, when we use them for experiments to benefit the 'human race', and torture of livestock is the norm.

"What if" questions are those of the true scientist - forever challenging the status quo. Anyone can be a technician - but to dream .... string theory! Look up the tale of a dreamer, who was recognized posthumously. : )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit