Amber Scorah on TedEX

by wannaexit 17 Replies latest jw friends

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

One thing she alluded to was true in my case. Once you are outside you normal environment (comfort zone) and have some space, it all starts to fall apart. When I moved from the US to Poland nobody expected anything from me anymore. Yes, I went to meetings and out in service but I had a lot more space. I wasn't so busy, I actually had time to think. They (JW.org/WT) don't want you to think - they already have 'smart' people that have done that for you.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

I loved the last part when she mentioned, that when you wake up, you see the world differently. So so true!!

Her book was a must read!!! Loved it!

• Simon
    Simon
    One thing she alluded to was true in my case. Once you are outside you normal environment (comfort zone) and have some space, it all starts to fall apart

Again, that applies to many organizations. Have you ever worked at a company and "stuck it out" even though things weren't right? Many people have, and it's only when they leave they realize just how bat-shit crazy and messed up it was and how stupid they were for putting up with things so long.

Same with abusive relationships ...

It's people, like frogs in a pan, there's a human tendency to normalize and adapt to the environment instead of changing it.

• zeb
    zeb

dubstepped,

As Blondie said I will watch it again when I am more awake that in late hours.

cheers.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Interestingly I've been reading a book by a missionary who went to convert a tribe in the Amazon jungle that has many parallels with Amber's experience.

Because this was outlawed(like Amber) he went ostensibly for a Linguistic organization.

Just like Amber, he had time and space away from his conditioning and the tribe had such a different way of thinking, they converted him....well he left an athiest!!

Get this ....they had no words for numbers and no counting and no words for colours. They would say the frogs are bigger ( more frogs) and the word for black was 'rotting blood' the word for red was 'like blood' and the word for green was 'like unripe'.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

@Simon: yes, I had the same experience in my career working at multiple software/tech/telecom companies. It was also the same for me moving out of the US. Once I was out for a few years, I began to realize what a totally disfunctional country it was and still is. Not going back.

• zeb
    zeb

Had a chance to watch it. To the non jw it must have been revealing. Well done young lady.

(Lesson to self dont watch videos when tired)

• Half banana
    Half banana

I read Amber's story in a newspaper some time before her book came out and was very impressed by her sensitivity.

Just recently I read that very book "Leaving the Witness" and enjoyed it very much. It also confirmed my original feelings about her ability to tell a terrific tale about religious optimism and its reversal, a matter close to our own hearts, that is the experience of being deceived by the JW organisation.

In China as a missionary she came to appreciate a new and sharper perspective of her own identity, as she said to her JW zombie husband in a moment of awakening clarity, "We are in a fucking cult!"............ It didn't go down well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit