I just emailed Court TV

by Sabine 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Tyler
    Tyler
    Just curious...how old are you? Because nobody except very young teenagers watch this schtuff! (I'd like to call it something else, but Simon has a rule against it.) THIS American TV does NOT reflect true American Society at all and MOST people with half a brain here in the US know that. Watching TV from a country is not always an accurate guage of the people or society.

Billygoat, Just to set the record straight, I don't watch them, but I have seen the odd epidode every now and then, and it never failes to shock me how your society is portrayed. I know it is only TV, but Nazi programs about Jews were also only the Picture House. The fact that these abusively mocking programs are actually aimed at and watched by the very young makes them even more disturbing. They are molding the social expectations of thease ones, and teaching very bad ethics. The message sems to go 'It's funny to mock social misfits, because it makes them mis fit even more!!' Ha bloody ha. Besides, there were a lot of reports about the social hiearachy in American High Schools contributed by Kids who have done exchange programs just after the Dunblane shootings. They pretty much confirmed what I gleaned from said programes. Jocks and Cheerleaders get the best tables at lunch times, while the Geeks are forced to walk to the far end of the dinner hall. Is this true? Is it ignored by the teachers, or worse- endorsed?

I'd like to believe that it is not an acurate portrate of American society, but.. (Ah I'll start a new thread.)

• amac
    amac

Sabine -

You have relayed your personal experience to me in the past and all I can say is that my heart still goes out to you for what you have been through...

My intention was not in anyway to excuse Mr. Longo, just to stir the pot, so to speak, maybe spark curiosity by mentioning other murder/suicides committed by disfellowshiped jws.

I understand your intentions and their honorable motive. All I am saying is, despite YOUR intentions, any comments sent in and used by the media could only be used to connect this man's actions to being a JW instead of making him solely responsible.

I hope that both you and Mulan do not think that I am saying that is your intention, I'm simply referring to the realistic outcome of an attempt to use this as a platform for exposing JWs.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    All I am saying is, despite YOUR intentions, any comments sent in and used by the media could only be used to connect this man's actions to being a JW instead of making him solely responsible.

I hope that both you and Mulan do not think that I am saying that is your intention, I'm simply referring to the realistic outcome of an attempt to use this as a platform for exposing JWs.

No one is trying to excuse this man's actions.

As I said before, that isn't the point..................I give up. No one but Sabine and Princess seem to understand what I am trying to get across. At least Sabine and I had the same thoughts yesterday, when she emailed me.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Amac,

I say this tongue-in-cheek as I'm in a frilly mood today, so don't feel I'm being a flamer, k? Regarding this statement?

All I am saying is, despite YOUR intentions, any comments sent in and used by the media could only be used to connect this man's actions to being a JW instead of making him solely responsible.

Are you a clairvoyant? Or a mind-reader? You know exactly what will happen if these comments get sent in? (Okay...all that was me kidding!!)

But in all seriousness...how do you KNOW that is how the public will perceive Longo, or JWs, or exJWs? Perhaps that is what you might think if you were seeing this for the first time. But you can't realistically project those thoughts onto others. It boils down to you don't know. Sabine and Mulan have a valid point. It just isn't yours. I think they understand your point. You just don't seem to understand theirs because it's different than what you would think.

My thoughts,

Andi

• Princess
    Princess

and what would be so horrible about that? Is it so hard to believe that possibly his being a df'd JW led to his crime? I'm not saying it did, but it is possible.

Why are you all so afraid of his being a df'd JW being bad publicity? Is he making us as ex-JW's look bad? It isn't like we are our own cult or group. Do you really think he is making JWs look good?

• Mulan
    Mulan

Thanks Andi and Rachel. Exactly the point.

• berylblue
    berylblue

Sabine and Mulan, I do understand your point. I'm not sure to what degree I agree with you, but I do agree . Gotta think about this more.

Rosemarie

• foreword
    foreword

I think what they mean, is that it wouldn't give your cause justice. This guy is not representative of the people who have been hurt by the organisation, like yourselves. I think your e-mail idea is good but you should dress it up so it focuses on the victims, which this guy was not. I'm not saying he wasn't influenced by his religious upbringing, but a guy who kills his wife and kids then goes partying in Mexico with a babe definitely doesn't sound like a victim to me.

I do however understand what you're getting at.

mark

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

What hasn't been mentioned in this thread (from a quick look), is brother Longo's impeccable logic. He may have been narcissistic, but for whatever reason, he stayed with his family for many many years. I would not be surprised if his reason was love.

Now then, ask any witness, what is guaranteed to his wife and kids?

Yep, Eternal life in paradise. No waiting in line. No suffering till then, and not even a chance they'll turn out bad like their old man.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit