Red Flags identifying Jehovah's Witnesses as a Cult

by Vanderhoven7 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

Don't forget that if you express a genuine serious concern you will immediately be labelled as a troublemaker because you are NOT ALLOWED to question anything said either from the platform or in print from the Faithful Slabber, no matter how ridiculous or made up it appears to be.

One way to quickly find yourself in the backroom facing an inquisition by 3 or more unqualified elders is to respond to questions about your recent criticism of an item you heard from the platform and orally expressed as stupid in front of several of your peers: is to go with 4 simple little words.... "Go F**k Yourselves Brothers".

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

One cannot leave Jehovah's Witnesses with one's reputation intact

Even if you stay, who has a perfect reputation from gb down to joe pub 3rd class? And maybe not in public. But everybody is human so nobody is any better. Some have better self control than others. There is a difference between being wicked and being weak. In public and formally there is an appearance. So do you care in the least what people think about you. Don’t you believe in God can exalt you and humiliate others?

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Fisherman

This is not about me.

You say that many are justifiably good weaklings but these weak ones should be strong enough to bear the shame of unjust defamation ...as well as the rejection of family and friends. Sorry, you can't have it both ways.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

When you keep protesting that you are not in a cult, you may be in a cult.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

"One cannot leave Jehovah's Witnesses with one's reputation intact."

If one leaves, one's reputation is now that of a leaver. Why should the reputation stay anything different?

"You have to believe that Jehovah`s Witnesses are the only true Christian religion"

If you don't believe that JWs are the only true Religion, then you need to go to the one you believe is the only true religion.

"You can read their literature, but they won't read yours."

Not true. I won't take another's, but I'll sit down and we will discuss it.

"They try to separate you from the real world."

Taylor Swift and Oprah do that.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Ratigan,

Are not simple leavers who leave a note behind as to why they are leaving classified as apostates who are hated by Witnesses. Or have you forhotten that Morris said "I hate them!" while declaring they will soon be snuffed out as he blew out a match for illustration.

• Godlyman
    Godlyman

Rattigan350

Rattigan350:3 hours ago
    "One cannot leave Jehovah's Witnesses with one's reputation intact." If one leaves, one's reputation is now that of a leaver. Why should the reputation stay anything different? "You have to believe that Jehovah`s Witnesses are the only true Christian religion" If you don't believe that JWs are the only true Religion, then you need to go to the one you believe is the only true religion." You can read their literature, but they won't read yours." Not true. I won't take another's, but I'll sit down and we will discuss it. "They try to separate you from the real world." Taylor Swift and Oprah do that.

This is one "fact" that cannot be disputed: There is no such thing as "One" True religion. Every sect has their own "understanding". Who's to say one is the correct one over the other? It is true that some beliefs are easily dispelled based upon what is written in the bible.

This is one aspect of any religion or belief. All humans will not be judged upon what we might truly believe to be true. We will all be judged according to our "deeds", or how we conduct ourselves in our everyday lives. Afterall, there are those that might be swayed by another religion considered to be led by false prophets. As it is written, even God's own people will be misled by false prophets. It is the intent of the heart that matters.

I followed the teachings of the JW's for many years, and still believe in most of their teachings. It was around the year 2003 that caused me to leave the organization after discovering some teachings to be untrue. I now rely upon my own understanding and do not consider myself to be a part of any organized religious group.

Estephan aka: Brownboy

• Godlyman
    Godlyman

As far as the JW's being a cult. This could be said to relate to every belief in existence according to the definition. However, a cult, I believe. is one that strays away from that of common practice in a normal society.

Definition of cult

noun
      1. a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
      2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers:the physical fitness cult.
      3. the object of such devotion.
      4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
    1. adjective
      1. of or relating to a cult.
      2. of, for, or attracting a small group of devotees:a cult movie.
  • peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Yes 'cult' is a loaded word and not a diplomatic opener. A poster earlier nicely preferred, ' high control group' or something similar. It is the unhealthy psychological grip a movement or group has upon individuals that causes concern. Yes the academic usage of the word cult means any religious tradition, but in common usage it carries a negative connotation describing something dangerous, weird or unusual. Recently there has been an effort by mental health professionals to more narrowly define the word as describing movements and groups that elicit devotion through information control, hierarchal power structure and other methods. Still the word cult may not be the best term to use if trying to reason or persuade someone under the influence of such a group.

• Godlyman
    Godlyman

I agree peacefulpete. Here are some examples of famous "cult" leaders falling under the category of dangerous:

Cult leaders’ charismatic personalities, fringe beliefs and lust for power have inspired hundreds to follow their unconventional philosophies — with often-tragic results. Charles Manson, David Koresh, Jim Jones, Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh and others have gained international notoriety for exposing the dark side of humanity.

Estephan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit