Was CT Russell a freemason or not

by UnshackleTheChains 21 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Whynot
    Whynot

http://watchtowerdocuments.org/charles-taze-russell-was-not-a-pennsylvania-freemason/

It's known that Russell spoke against the masons but he stopped towards the end of he career.

The only reason I say that he supported them is by my own conversations with Freemasons. They won't let you use their lodge unless you show some kind of support or know someone who can help you get approval to use the lodge. But again, like I said, that's how it is where I am from. The Freemasons I know won't give you the time of day unless you show interest and positive support towards them in general.

Anyway, why is it a bad thing if he was a Freemason? They help the less fortunate in their communities and are 100% loyal to their members. The only bad thing I can think of is that it's hard to get out. But they make sure you understand that before you join and it's hard to become a member.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

WHYNOT queried, "Anyway, why is it a bad thing if he was a Freemason?"

There would have been conflicts because of the Pastor's feelings about interfaith activities,

but it isn't so much a question of good vs. bad, but of TRUE vs. FALSE, that's all. If XJWs walk around

saying things about CTR that are demonstrably untrue, they come off looking like goofballs, which is

not in accord with UADNA guidelines.

(selah)

• dubstepped
    dubstepped
    Nathan Natas - There would have been conflicts because of the Pastor's feelings about interfaith activities

I was under the impression that CTR's group of BS (Bible Students) were comprised of people of all different faiths and that it was okay to mix. Am I wrong? Or did I misread your statement? I thought that, at least at the beginning of the cult, things were open and not restrictive at all. Did he later become anti-mingling of faiths?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Russell was looking for any Christian believer to sell his own unique theology and literature to, in his mind he was a Freemason of bible theology.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Unshackle the Chains:

Please explain why Russell's association, or non-association, with freemasons is important, or makes any difference about anything.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Not.

• TD
    TD

I think you guys know the answer to that question.

It involves taking movies like National Treasure a little too seriously....

• Giordano
    Giordano

Re this subject............. two things to keep in mind. Russell was a business man and had a number of men's clothing stores....... this in a time where one's clothes could denote your success.

I am sure Russell advertised and probably targeted the various groups and associations in the area. Shriner's, Free Masons, Moose club, Oddfellows etc.

Secondly Russell didn't originate his beliefs he borrowed them from groups that came before him and the Adventists which seemed to have the most influence as he appropriated a bunch of stuff from them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Jehovah%27s_Witnesses

Adventist influences.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

CT Russell was an delusional opportunist like all cult founders!

just saying!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

DUBSTEPPED asked, "Am I wrong?"

Yes, in my opinion, at this time on this issue, you are in error. You said, "I was under the impression that CTR's group of Bible Students were comprised of people of all different faiths and that it was okay to mix." (Emphasis mine.)

ALL different faiths? How many Muslims?

None.

CTR thought it was his mission to gather the members of Christ's "Bride Class" from the various churches of Christendom into which they had been scattered. They were all nominal Christians who were to be prepared for their Everlasting Marriage in the world beyond.

This brings us to the question, "When we talk about Masons or Freemasons, what do we mean?"

This is what I mean:

--------------------

From Wikipedia, "History of Freemasonry"

Origins

Since the middle of the 19th century, Masonic historians have sought the origins of the movement in a series of similar documents known as the Old Charges, dating from the Regius Poem in about 1425 to the beginning of the 18th century. Alluding to the membership of a lodge of operative masons, they relate a mythologised history of the craft, the duties of its grades, and the manner in which oaths of fidelity are to be taken on joining. The 15th century also sees the first evidence of ceremonial regalia.

There is no clear mechanism by which these local trade organisations became today's Masonic Lodges, but the earliest rituals and passwords known, from operative lodges around the turn of the 17th–18th centuries, show continuity with the rituals developed in the later 18th century by accepted or speculative Masons, as those members who did not practice the physical craft came to be known. The minutes of the Lodge of Edinburgh (Mary's Chapel) No. 1 in Scotland show a continuity from an operative lodge in 1598 to a modern speculative Lodge. It is reputed to be the oldest Masonic Lodge in the world.

Alternatively, Thomas De Quincey in his work titled; Rosicrucians and Freemasonry, put forward the theory which suggested that Freemasonry was possibly an outgrowth of Rosicrucianism. The theory had also been postulated in 1803 by German professor; J. G. Buhle.

------------------------------------

From Wikipedia page on Rosicrucianism

Rosicrucianism is a spiritual and cultural movement which arose in Europe in the early 17th century after the publication of several texts which purported to announce the existence of a hitherto unknown esoteric order to the world and made seeking its knowledge attractive to many. The mysterious doctrine of the order is allegedly "built on esoteric truths of the ancient past", which "concealed from the average man, provide insight into nature, the physical universe, and the spiritual realm." The manifestos do not elaborate extensively on the matter, but clearly combine references to Kabbalah, Hermeticism, alchemy, and mystical Christianity.

---------------
    I will offer that the esoteric nature of Freemasonry makes it incompatible with CTR's teachings, also that the laws governing Freemasonry are extra-Biblical and to be shunned.
    That is what I think right now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit