Good books to read?

by thedepressedsoul 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul
    I read Crisis on the Conscience and I am about to start, "Who wrote the bible?"
    Does anyone have a list or great books to read for anyone searching for the real truth? I've only ever seen the world through a JW lens and I am excited to see what other view points are out there!
  • cofty
    cofty

This is the third time you have started the same thread.

There were lots of good suggestions for you in this thread before SBF hijacked it ...

I'm curious about why you never acknowledged the replies to your previous thread.

• never a jw
    never a jw
    Hell no. I am not writing my suggestions again. You go back and search if you care.
  • Ruby456
    Ruby456

books about the real truth - I don't know what to suggest - In my own life I find little pockets of reality and truth here and there - situations and things that make me think and remind me that life is much bigger than me but which I am glad to be part of it

I do have a little nugget of a book though that jumps out of my bookshelf from time to time - it is an Alain Badiou book that some friends and enemies here recommended to me -

In Praise of Love.

Slovaj Zizek recommends it - he says " A figure like Plato walks among us!".

at the time that it was published in 2012 Alain Badiou held the Rene Descartes chair at the European Grad school alongside Slovaj Zizek and Giorgio Agemen (Zizek has written books that seem solely for me)

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

SBF makes good points about Harris, hitichens and dawkins on the other thread - but I also think those books are must reads but not books to linger over as they fuel hatred over people who are powerless at the moment. they are books to disagree with and treat as mythology after you have read them. I call their books secular christain mythology and the authors and their followers often come across to me as secular christian fundamentalists - mind you Zizek and Badiou can help you to contextualise their ardour - they would call it LOVE. Sometimes I agree with this description and hopefully the christian secular fundies can return the compliment?

Science books are great and if you are interested in science then you are better off reading other science books alongside Dawkins mythology.

• cofty
    cofty
    they fuel hatred over people who are powerless at the moment

They criticise bad ideas. Conflating hatred for religious fascism with racism is a hallmark of the regressive left.

I can't decide if it's dishonest or dumb.

• cofty
    cofty
    Dawkins mythology

What has Dawkins written about science that you would categorise as mythology?

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

another book I'd recommend is - The Sins of Scripture - by John Shelby Spong

Cofty you are off topic but please read his intro in The God Delusion

• Ruby456
    Ruby456
    mind you I do love you Cofty in the spirit of Badiou - give me some hugs you lovely man
  • never a jw
    never a jw

I call their books secular christain mythology and the authors and their followers often come across to me as secular christian fundamentalists

Christian, secular, mythology, fundamentalists.

Which of the 4 words above doesn't belong. You have 10 seconds.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit