Installed a Wireless Network

by Undecided 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

You don't need to guess SSID's when you have a utility called Kizmet, and a Linux box, if you don't have WAP turned on, and I really suggest 256 bit, not 128 bit encryption, if your device supports it. I have a Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 Linux PDA, that fits in my hand, and a wireless CF card for it. I've discovered several WiFi networks with it, driving around, using kizmet, in my girlfriends small town, looking for a wifi hotspot. Found the one I was looking for, and one I wasn't. A cafe had one, and the other spot was listed on our Seattle Wireless map. We have a free wireless broadband movement going here.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    You don't need to guess SSID's when you have a utility called Kizmet, and a Linux box, if you don't have WAP turned on,

That's why WAP is important. It's also important to turn off SSID broadcasting so that utilities like NetStumbler don't find you.

and I really suggest 256 bit, not 128 bit encryption, if your device supports it.

Of course. Unfortunately, most WiFi devices only support 40/64-bit and 128-bit encryption. Both of which are not implemented correctly and have weaknesses. You should use the highest level of encryption that all of your devices support.

I've discovered several WiFi networks with it, driving around, using kizmet, in my girlfriends small town, looking for a wifi hotspot.

Yep, I've done the same with a WiFi-enabled Pocket PC and using NetStumbler. Most WiFi networks are not properly secured. I still believe that with WAP enabled, MAC filtering enabled, and using a non-default, non-broadcasting SSID, you will be pretty safe. There are so many less secure WiFi networks you could connect to. If you have really sensitive data and want rock solid WiFi security, then I would use Cisco equipment. They have done encryption right.

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

Or do what I did, put my wireless access point in a DMZ, and not give it access to my internal network, and when I need it from my wireless devices, use VPN, or IPSec to get in. I mostly use my wireless with my linux PDA, and most everything I do is via SSH, and listening to net radio as I walk around my house. Heh.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit