HAVE PEOPLE ONLY BEEN ON EARTH FOR 5000 YRS LIKE JW'S SAY?

by FreeofGuilt 18 Replies latest jw friends

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

You are kidding, right?

http://www.msu.edu/~heslipst/contents/ANP440/neanderthalensis.htm
    "B ecause more fossil remains exists from neanderthal specimens than any other fossil hominid, they are continuously the focus of anthropological scrutiny. "

This site has images of many neanderthal skeletons.

• seedy3
    seedy3
    There is no hard evidence that the neanderthals existed.

Ohhh boy I gotta see the replies on this one. Perhaps he needs a trip to france where they have found somewhere inthe ups of 100 or more Neanderthal remains. How about the DNA testing of them?? OH WAIT........... I know what he means.......... hey didn't call themselves that so therefroe they didn't exist.

Seedy

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I have absolutely no doubt that humans and their predecessors have lived on this earth for millions of years.

Carbon dating will go back 30,000 years or so (if I remember correctly). Radiological dating can be insanely accurate, especially when it is calibrated with other dating methods. There is simply no way man is only 6,000 years old.

• Room 215
    Room 215

It would seem that the writers/doctrinicians in Brooklyn are distancing themselves from the 6,000-year age-of-man dogma. They've avoided any reference to it and its corollary, their 7,000-year creative days teaching, for more than a decade.

They're clearly equivocating because they've come to realize it's simply an untenable proposition, and are hopeful that with no further reference to it, it will recede from the rank and file's collective consciousness.

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

You've got it all wrong, folks! OF COURSE the few old men who promulgated this nonsense back in Biblical times knew more about anthropology and science in general than today's scientists! Carbon dating, electron microscopes, computers...what a load of unreliable CRAP! Give me an imaginary friend who talks to me inside my head, jumbled chronology and, well, good old guesswork anytime!

Spanner

• rocketman
    rocketman

The evidence continues to mount supporting man's being more than 6,000 or so years old. The evidence is not just restricted to fossils. There are archaological sites revealing much in the way of tool making capacity of early hominids as well. Such finds, combined with fossils and mitochondrial DNA tests, fit together to provide a good picture of homind development and man's history.

• blondie
    blondie

I always thought the the Catholic had an interesting way to combine evolution and creation:

Concerning biological evolution, the Church does not have an official position on whether various life forms developed over the course of time. However, it says that, if they did develop, then they did so under the impetus and guidance of God, and their ultimate creation must be ascribed to him.

Concerning human evolution, the Church has a more definite teaching. It allows for the possibility that man’s body developed from previous biological forms, under God’s guidance, but it insists on the special creation of his soul. Pope Pius XII declared that "the teaching authority of the Church does not forbid that, in conformity with the present state of human sciences and sacred theology, research and discussions . . . take place with regard to the doctrine of evolution, in as far as it inquires into the origin of the human body as coming from pre-existent and living matter—[but] the Catholic faith obliges us to hold that souls are immediately created by God" (Pius XII, Humani Generis 36). So whether the human body was specially created or developed, we are required to hold as a matter of Catholic faith that the human soul is specially created; it did not evolve, and it is not inherited from our parents, as our bodies are.

http://www.catholic.com/library/Adam_Eve_and_Evolution.asp

Blondie

Maybe the light will shine on the WTS.

• rocky220
    rocky220

If the Botchtower has blundered profecies, doctrines, and policies....why should this be any different?! rocky220

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    I always thought the the Catholic had an interesting way to combine evolution and creation

The late Douglas Adams told a story recounted here by Richard Dawkins:

A man didn’t understand how televisions work, and was convinced that there must be lots of little men inside the box. manipulating images at high speed. An engineer explained to him about high frequency modulations of the electromagnetic spectrum, about transmitters and receivers, about amplifiers and cathode ray tubes, about scan lines moving across and down a phosphorescent screen. The man listened to the engineer with careful attention, nodding his head at every step of the argument. At the end he pronounced himself satisfied. He really did now understand how televisions work. “But I expect there are just a few little men in there, aren’t there?”

(Quoted from http://www.edge.org/documents/adams_index.html)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit