Took my 11 yr old trick or treating this year. saw first hand his cognitive dissonance. had to show him nothing is wrong with halloween

by goingthruthemotions 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

i know there was another thread about halloween, and i was going to post on it. but, thought i wanted to make a couple of points on mine.

so.... here it is.

i took my 11 year old trick or treating this year. i had promised him last year that we would and i did. my 16 year old went along and ended up getting down with him and did a few doors (no pun intended)

here's the kicker...man was my 11 year old experiencing some cognitive dissonance. i had to calm him down, both myself and my 16 year old told him it was not a big deal. that what the witnesses told him was all wrong. one thing i told him was that i was just a man made holiday and it was not evil and that were not going to die or nothing bad will happen. like they brainwash there people. ( I hate this cult)

so we did a few doors (no pun intended) got lots of candy, meet some really nice people. he came away excited and happy he did it. he said that the people doing it, were nothing like the washtowel portrays.

it was great!!!!! baby steps.....i wish i could leave this cult for good and never look back. why can't my brainwashed wife wake up????????

i know need to find away to have christmas.

• maksutov
    maksutov
    Yay! Good for you - it will do your son a lot of good to see things how they really are as opposed to the nonsense he's been taught at the hall. I took my daughter (8) trick-or-treating for the first time yesterday too (with her cousin and a few others). It was great fun, and we met some really nice people (my wife is still in, and it seems unlikely she will ever leave). It felt great to knock on doors without a Watchtower or Awake, lol.
  • goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

that is awesome maksutov.....sounds like were in the same boat..why can't they open there eyes? (rhetorical)

• TheListener
    TheListener
    Great job GTTM and Maksutov!
  • cognac
    cognac

Ava, my 6 year old was feeling nervous about it also. Apparently, she's put it together that I like to do bad things... But, she wound up enjoying the day.

Damn cults...

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Until they're teenagers, most kids are kind of obsessed with following 'the rules', whatever those may be in their worlds. It's helpful if you can get kids and also THEIR FRIENDS to go together...friends from school, or non witness cousins. Of course to their friends, it's second nature to them and they are relaxed, and will in turn relax your 'coming out of it' kids.
  • JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I mentioned to my mom that my 2 year old grandchild had a bad night last night. She has only just started sleeping through the night well about 70% of the time. So, mom blamed Halloween. Where the church allowed animal and bible character! Not anything scary. First thing she jumps on is Halloween though she e knows sleep is a work in progress for her.

My sis had same problem and never went trick or treating g, even at a churchy, indoor event. I blame Armageddon talks!

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

Cognac: i feel you.....but, we need to show them that there is nothing wrong with being normal people. like you said.

Damn Cult

• cognac
    cognac

I must say, the most hilarious thing is watching how territorial my 4 year old gets over her candy.

I get, "AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Don't take my candy. Ever again! Alright Mommy?"

So funny!

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    Just harmless fun like trick or treating classified as demonic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit