Does The Watchtower Corporation's Teachings Of Black White Thinking Induce Borderling Personality Disorder In Many Cult member?

by Brokeback Watchtower 54 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

I think the Disfellowshipping abandonement arrangement in human relationships also to be a heavy contributor to this malady:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borderline_personality_disorder
    Borderline personality disorder (BPD), also known as emotionally unstable personality disorder, is a long-term pattern of abnormal behavior characterized by unstable relationships with other people, unstable sense of self, and unstable emotions.[3][4] There is often an extreme fear of abandonment, frequent dangerous behavior, a feeling of emptiness, and self-harm. Symptoms may be brought on by seemingly normal events.[3] The behavior typically begins by early adulthood, and occurs across a variety of situations.[4] Substance abuse, depression, and eating disorders are commonly associated with BPD.[3] BPD increases the risk of self-harm and 10% of people affected die by suicide.[3][4]
    Signs and symptoms[edit]
    Borderline personality disorder may be characterized by the following signs and symptoms:
    The most distinguishing symptoms of BPD are marked sensitivity to rejection or criticism, and intense fear of possible abandonment.[7] Overall, the features of BPD include unusually intense sensitivity in relationships with others, difficulty regulating emotions, and impulsivity. Other symptoms may include feeling unsure of one's personal identity, morals, and values; having paranoid thoughts when feeling stressed; dissociation and depersonalization; and, in moderate to severe cases, stress-induced breaks with reality or psychotic episodes.
    Emotions[edit]
    People with BPD may feel emotions more easily, more deeply, and longer than others do.[8][9] In addition, emotions may repeatedly resurge and persist a long time.[9] Consequently, it may take more time for people with BPD than others to return to a stable emotional baseline following an intense emotional experience.[10] People with BPD often engage in idealization and devaluation of others, alternating between high positive regard for people and great disappointment in them.[11] In Marsha Linehan's view, the sensitivity, intensity, and duration with which people with BPD feel emotions have both positive and negative effects.[10] People with BPD are often exceptionally enthusiastic, idealistic, joyful, and loving.[12] However, they may feel overwhelmed by negative emotions ("anxiety, depression, guilt/shame, worry, anger, etc."), experiencing intense grief instead of sadness, shame and humiliation instead of mild embarrassment, rage instead of annoyance, and panic instead of nervousness.[12]
    People with BPD are also especially sensitive to feelings of rejection, criticism, isolation, and perceived failure.[13] Before learning other coping mechanisms, their efforts to manage or escape from their very negative emotions may lead to emotional isolation, self-injury or suicidal behavior.[14] They are often aware of the intensity of their negative emotional reactions and, since they cannot regulate them, they shut them down entirely.[10] This can be harmful to people with BPD, since negative emotions alert people to the presence of a problematic situation and move them to address it which the person with BPD would normally be aware of only to cause further distress.[10] People with BPD may feel emotional relief following cutting.[15]
  • Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compartmentalization_(psychology)

6 References

Psychoanalytic views[edit]

Psychoanalysis considers that whereas isolation separates thoughts from feeling, compartmentalization separates different (incompatible) cognitions from each other.[2] As a secondary, intellectual defense, it may be linked to rationalization.[3] It is also related to the phenomenon of neurotic typing, whereby everything must be classified into mutually exclusive and watertight categories.[4]

Otto Kernberg has used the term "bridging interventions" for the therapist's attempts to straddle and contain contradictory and compartmentalized components of the patient's mind.[5]

Vulnerability[edit]
    Compartmentalization may lead to hidden vulnerabilities in those who use it as a major defense mechanism.[6]
    Those suffering from borderline personality disorder will often divide people into all good versus all bad, to avoid the conflicts removing the compartments would inevitably bring, using denial or indifference to protect against any indications of contradictory evidence.[7]
    Using indifference towards a better viewpoint is a normal and common example of this. It can be caused by someone having used multiple compartment ideals and having been uncomfortable with modifying them, at risk of being found incorrect. This often causes double-standards, and bias.[citati
  • Brokeback Watchtower
  • jp1692
    jp1692

BBW, This is an intriguing topic. That being said, I have a request and a suggestion:

How about less Cutting & Pasting and more personal commentary and analysis?

Also, I suggest you try to use reliable primary and secondary sources rather than Wikipedia, because WP is NOT a reliable source.

Thanks!

• jp1692
    jp1692

Adding links re my above post:

Wikipedia is not a reliable source

• jp1692
    jp1692

Okay, hyperlinks and post-edit functions are not working (and "Yes" I am using Google Chrome):

Distinguish Between Primary and Secondary Sources (University of Santa Cruz):

http://guides.library.ucsc.edu/primarysecondary

Wikipedia is not a reliable source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_is_not_a_reliable_source

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

I'll take your suggestion, but I cut and paste because it is much quicker way to broach these subjects and can be said so much better that I can type at present. Wiki gives lots of good info for further research as they offer only the bare bones of the subject being considered. Anyway I think Wiki to be a very valuable tool feel that your assessment to be a little short sighted and subjective. I think we all should get used to using it and not be that pessimistic it's content but also recognize some of it's flaws but correctly do so and not just dismiss it out of hand.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

O and thanks for the cut and pastes. I think it is a much quicker way to make your point while letting the reader use their discernment.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

And I think this bears repeating for you c&p:

4. Defining questions
    When evaluating primary or secondary sources, the following questions might be asked to help ascertain the nature and value of material being considered:
    • How does the author know these details (names, dates, times)? Was the author present at the event or soon on the scene?
    • Where does this information come from—personal experience, eyewitness accounts, or reports written by others?
    • Are the author's conclusions based on a single piece of evidence, or have many sources been taken into account (e.g., diary entries, along with third-party eyewitness accounts, impressions of contemporaries, newspaper accounts)?
    Ultimately, all source materials of whatever type must be assessed critically and even the most scrupulous and thorough work is viewed through the eyes of the writer/interpreter. This must be taken into account when one is attempting to arrive at the 'truth' of an event.
  • Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

I see the use of wiki as a starting point on any subject one is interested in. A place to start especially when one needs some other ideas and leads.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit